1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Carbon Filtration Via Hose Hookup

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Anthony, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Anthony

Anthony Thread Starter Active Member

I saw on LA Fish Guys (YouTube) that he had a carbon filter that hooked up to his hose. Has anyone seen these at the store ? I looked the other day but didn't see any that had a hose hookup on it, unless I looked at it wrong.

2. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Active Member

He could have made it himself, or rigged it.
    Or he may have special ordered it some place?

Post the video so we can see?

3. Anthony

I ended up going to Home Depot (Had only checked Lowes before) and found one that worked. The threads weren't for a hose but I managed to get it hooked up tight enough that it doesn't leak.

4. James0816

James0816 New Member

I have a similar plan that I will be building since the latest drought played screwy with the well. Since I age my water in jugs first, this seems pretty practical.

I have a large gravel vac that I no longer use. Seperate the tube from the base and remove the flapper valve (or whatever that piece of plastic is called). Cut out a small circle of screen and place on the bottom. Reattach the the tube and fill with AC. I am toying with the idear of a three stage filter which will incorporate some other media as well.

Just run the water from the faucet through this and into the jugs. Presto! Nice polished water.

At least this my thinking at least.

5. Anthony

I think I'm going to pick up a trash can and fill it up to keep in the garage for water changes.

6. James0816

James0816 New Member

Is your water not all that great out there? My pH is so low here. I've been contimplating doing one large barrel too. Drop in some crushed coral and add an airstone for circulation.

7. Anthony

It's city water. It's not horrible but it's not something I want to use out of the tap treated with Prime. I do think it has high phosphates though. I'm about to run out and see if I can find my test kit in the garage and see what everything reads. I think the pH is about 7.4ish.

8. Anthony

Surprisingly my tap water phosphates tested 0. Oh well. I have noticed the fish seem to really like the filtered water so I'll continue to use it.

9. James0816

James0816 New Member

I'll use spring water from time to time. Makes for a good break.