1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

CaribSea Purple Up Coraline Algae Accelerator?

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish Forum' started by NoctuVide, Jan 8, 2009.

1. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Thread Starter Member

CaribSea Purple Up Coraline Algae Accelerator? Has anyone on here ever used this? If so what are your results? Is it worth purchasing?

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I've used Purple Up before. Honestly, I wouldn't purchase it again. I didn't notice any increase in coraline algae when I used it in my nano tank.

3. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Thread Starter Member

So kind of one of those things just to take money from people?

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yeah. If anything it's good for adding calcium to the water but it didn't increase any of the coraline algae growth from what I saw.

5. lostanime

lostanime New Member

Agreed... if you've got everything running right in your tank and already have coralline (just needs a calc/mag boost) purple up can help, but if you really keep your water parameters where they are supposed to be, coralline will grow like crazy without.

Purple up doesn't contain any coralline (has to already be in tank)... it just bumps parameters that are commonly consumed by corals and coralline for calcifying.

I wish there was something that killed coralline. I like the different shades of pink/purples splashed all over rocks, but when it goes through a growing spurt (ie - when it COVERED my back wall) it was a serious (and expensive) battle to keep my calcium and magnesium levels in check.