1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Changes in my Discus Behavior

Discussion in 'Discus' started by LemonDiscus, Jan 15, 2009.

1. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Thread Starter Active Member

This is kind of just a rant about them.

I have been wanting my Discus to breed for quite some time. I do have a few that are of age to do it but nobody is pairing. From what others have seen such as Anthony my Discus for the most part live on the right hand side of my tank.

I added the Cardinal Tetras yesterday, and within a few hours 2 Discus moved over to the left side of the tank. 1 is a Red Sunset and the other is the Mayan Jade. I observed the Red Sunset making "Dry Runs" on the filter tube on that side of the tank. Also the Mayan Jade was cleaning the driftwood that is on that side (the one that looks like a "Y" laying down). Both of these fish were bickering with one another and kind of pushing each other around in a more gentle way.

When any of the other Discus came near either of them they were hit HARD by whoever of the 2 was closest. When they did decide to go back to the right side of the tank, they lost their wit and would get beat up by the same one they just beat up and would allow it to push it around. When they were on the left later, they were back to being the aggressor.

I think I have a pair now and am crossing my fingers they will do something. The odd thing is though, the Mayan Jade was tolerating the Angelfish that is in the tank and WOULD let that one come near the wood. Overall it was an interesting day to watch the fish.

We will see why they are like this in a few days I guess.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Good luck with the pairing and mating.

I know you don't use RO water but do you put anything in your water other than Proper pH ?

3. LemonDiscus

Blackwater Extract occasionally, otherwise, no

The Proper PH Dechlorinates and sets the PH to what my tank runs in.... No need for extra chemicals.

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I'm just curious, and this is just me because I like to add things to my tank. Have you though about adding any trace elements to the water ? I use Seachem Fresh Trace and while I can't say it does anything, I can say that it doesn't hurt anything.

5. LemonDiscus

I have added Flourish to the water before...

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Well, that's specifically for the plants. Seachem makes a product similar to what I use but for Discus, it's called Discus Trace.

7. LemonDiscus

Hmmm, never heard of that before. I may get some in a little bit just to see.... Yeah, they stated on the page "Seachem Website" that Salt is bad for Discus AND Plants, which is why I only use it as a medication.....

I think I will try that though...

8. LemonDiscus

Ok, EVERY Discus in my tank for the first time EVER, they ALL have breeding tubes out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been able to sex 8 of the 9 in my tank! The other one is staying to the back so I cannot see too well. And when it comes to the front it has its pelvic fins blocking the vent.

I have 5 males and 3 females.

There is pairing behavior ALL over my tank today and last night after removing that Angel. They are no longer looking like they are hypnotized at the front of the tank. They look ALIVE :cool:

So here is who is what
    Mayan Jade - I was WRONG by finnage. It is a MALE
    Yellow Marlboro (my Aviatar) - I was right, MALE
    Stunted Red Sunset - FEMALE
    Cobalt/Blue Turq - FEMALE
    1 Medium Red Sunset - FEMALE
    Largest Red Sunset -MALE
    2 other Medium Red Sunsets - MALE
    Brown - Unidentified visually but seems to be pairing with the Mayan Jade... by behavior appears to be female...

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Congrats ! Maybe soon you'll get some pairs and then spawn.

10. LemonDiscus

Hopefully! They are ALL dark too (the ones with the black pigment)! They are fluttering, bumping and mouth wrestling.

The Mayan Jade and the Brown one are guarding a spot behind the driftwood chunk in the middle of the tank by the big sword plant.... You see them every now and then raise up from nowhere and strike intruders.

11. LemonDiscus

WOW, I keep seeing the Mayan Jade go inside underneath that wood! It looks like it is fanning and picking.... It has been under there the past 2 days or so.... I really could not tell where it was until I snuck around to the side and saw him in there. If you view the last picture I posted on my 125 Gallon Blackwater Planted Aquarium link you can see him poking out where he is staying

You have to click the image and enlarge the window to see him but the brown one is over top of him and looks black.

12. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

There aren't eggs there already are there ?

13. LemonDiscus

I cannot see.... It is behind the driftwood and under it in the part that looks like a cave..... the 2 keep going in there from time to time.... it is a tight fit for them and impossible for me to view without disturbing the chunk of wood.

14. LemonDiscus

Brown one - FEMALE (visually confirmed!)

15. LemonDiscus

I believe I have eggs... I see a few white spots here and there barely noticeable on the back of the driftwood. You can see one from the picture below if you look really close! This is where I found the Mayan Jade a few posts back!

16. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Humm if those are eggs they sure didn't waste any time did they ?

17. LemonDiscus

I think they laid them yesterday.... this all started then (the fish hiding back there)

They wont let ANYTHING come near that area and are both almost pitch black. If one leaves, the other stays back. If they are both there one sits high with the other fish and one stays down at the bottom in eye view of the site. I would not be able to see the fertile eggs because its so dark back there and too far to view from the side. So I have been looking for the infertile ones... I see about 4 little white spots like that one I circled.

Do you see it? I actually used the camera to zoom in, but still cannot confirm.

18. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I see something but it looks like the moss to me.

19. LemonDiscus

Right above that piece of moss there is a tiny white spot.... it is not on the moss but on the driftwood. It is not quite centered in the circle I made. It is a bit top and left of center of the circle.

20. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Oh okay, I do see that.