1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Changes in my Discus Behavior

Discussion in 'Discus' started by LemonDiscus, Jan 15, 2009.

1. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Thread Starter Active Member

I seen about 4 of those including that one... it fits the bill for an infertile egg in size and coloration.

2. LemonDiscus

These are the parents

The pink circle is the female and the blue is the male. The male is by what I think are eggs while the female is keeping the other discus at bay from up top.

Photos of my discus fish eggs

3. caronsd

caronsd New Member

Congrats man, the eggs you don't notice are the ones that will make you the happiest lol. Just don't do what I did on my first Angel spawn and get really excited and stare at them for hours because it stresses them out and they eat the eggs lol... And I'm sure you already know this but don't panic when they eat the "white" eggs because as you know those are not fertile, their may still be some good ones! I'm excited for you and we all want pics of the wigglers, (you may need a super zoom camera)

4. LemonDiscus

and a lot of light..... :confused:

I have been so tempted to pull the wood out and see.... but I know then they will eat them. And BTW, they did eat the white ones....

5. caronsd

caronsd New Member

Thats great if they already ate them, that means they are good parents so far! I've heard the unfertile eggs develop fungal problems faster and can contaminate fertile eggs. I just threw that in their before because it was something i realized only after it happened that their are still eggs lol, and I saw it happening again jsut now when I got home from work so it was fresh in my mind. Jump in the chat and give me an update.

6. LemonDiscus

I HAD to move the driftwood.... nothing there now... not even those spots... I must have stressed them out staring at them :)

Maybe that is what the Mayan Jade was doing was eating the eggs. Like I said he was all upside down and everything back there.

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Aw well maybe they'll spawn soon.

8. LemonDiscus

They are still guarding the area! Maybe they have not done it yet.... I dont know.... I am still confused. Never seen ANYTHING like this before. :) Entertaining if nothing else! I have not even been able to watch TV all day, my eyes are glued to the tank!!!

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Don't they normally scout out an area before they spawn and get it ready ?

10. LemonDiscus

Yup... well, if they do the same as Angels (from what I have read they have the same courtship rituals)

11. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

So the're still doing it ^^? I'd love to see some discus fry of yours :)

12. LemonDiscus

No, they seem to have stopped again! :confused: I get all excited... and then nothing.... They still are doing the courtship rituals though

I guess they are having issues finding a pair.. there are 3 pairs establishing in the tank. If there are eggs (there may be as 1 pair is REALLY reclusive and hiding in the stargrass) I have not seen them.

13. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Well I hope so, You really deserve it :D You really take great care of your discus.

14. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Try dimming the lights and playing some barry mannilow...Haha! Maybe they're needing a romantic environ.

15. LemonDiscus

Maybe...

I would love if these guys started breeding. One of the main reasons I got into Discus was to see the parents care for a spawn. (Discus are unique in the way they raise the babies)

16. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Must admit I love looking at them at the local lfs, but defin. not ready to "test drive" one yet. Especially with their "pricetag".
    But Go Ryan! for successfully maintaining/breeding them.

17. LemonDiscus

I would not say I have successfully bred them until I SEE eggs and have sellable babies!

18. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

okay then, YAY for keeping them and not killing them in the process?
    come on..you have to give me at least one cheer....everyone needs a pep squad every now and then.
    Lol!

19. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

I check by every week at our lfs and I enjoy taking a look at them to,, Only if a person buys them I'm always the one who gets soaking wet.. They cost about €20 here wich is like 25 dollars! Fish are pretty cheap in the netherlands but the tanks are way to expensive.

20. LemonDiscus

Yeah, Discus splash A LOT when caught! :)