1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Cheap Study Stands

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Cynthia, May 17, 2010.

1. Cynthia

Cynthia Thread Starter Member

the one thing most people need, but hate buying..a good stand, sure I could just buy one of the flimsy ones at Petco for 50 bucks but they look so unsteady, the last thing somebody needs when their trying to make a new strain of platies is to have the tank fall and shatter (fish costs as much as dicus with tax and shipping added! so I don't want to lose any before I even get a chance to breed them) what are some good tank stands somebody could make with a couple 2 by 4's around the house or something, the stand I want is well over a 100 and well out of a 14 teen old's price range [icon_e_confused.gif]

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

depends on the size you need?
    :cool: can always post a ad on craigslist or check your local thrift stores.
    diy fish tank stand

IF the tank is small enough you might be able to get away with using a dresser, solid coffee table, night stand, student desk, book case, etc.
    Sometimes you just have to think creative ;)

3. Cynthia

it's a ten gal, I checked the 6 Dalmation Platies I'm keeping in there will fit well, I'll remove fry to a second grow out tank, the one I'll need a stand for, sell the fry who don't have the colorations I want (heh, it's a new fairly rare strain of Platy if Anthony had never heard about it XDD, he thought I meant dalmation Mollies but I wouldn't even keep a fry in a ten gal) :)

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

These are the white bodied ones with the black speck if I'm thinking on the same line as you...and as for tank stands for a 10g...pretty much anything will work. Heck, I have my 20L on top of my computer armoire...had the kids old 10g simply sitting on the floor :)

check the furniture aisle of your local store (wal-mart) and see if they have a microwave cart or something similar..they work great and give you underneath storage for a canister/uv/inline heater...and supplies such as food/net/etc. if you slide in a basket ;)

10g filled should be under 200lbs and this is only $29.00 - Rolling kitchen cart used to hold fish tank

this is what I was referring to for $69.00 - Microwave cart use to hold aquarium

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

here's one for actual aquariums (10g) for $23.99 with free shipping--> <a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.com/PETCO-Manhattan-Gallon-Metal-Stand/dp/B002CYPECG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.amazon.com/PETCO-Manhattan-G ... B002CYPECG</a>

I know the cheapo metal ones go for $31 & $38 @ petco shipped (without using a coupon code).

6. nossie

nossie Member

I keep my 10 gallon on a stand I made myself, out of two small, sturdy stools and a pretty thick wooden board on top. The reason I did this is because I can't possibly press any more furniture into my tiny apartment, and this is working really well, the tank is standing steady and nice there :)
    My second tank is standing on a bureau, pretty small and again, sturdy one, so I think you could easily make something similar up ;)

Or, you could, like suggested before, check on craigslist or some second hand sites/stores if they have anything suitable for your tank! :)

7. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

I have 55 gal tanks on 2 rows for milk crates (Free from the local grocer who gave them to me) coverd in material. 1 is 2 crates high and the other is 3 crates high.You can dig around and come up with some really unique designs from tables, dressers,computer desks (I use one for a 20 gal got desk free off the street)). Check out free stuff on craigslist for any tables, pedistals, desks, wood or metal scraps, just be creative and have fun with it. :D

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Wow. Never thought of using milk crates. How sturdy are they ? Now I want to get some and do a step like design and put the 10 on the bottom section and the 20 above it. LoL

9. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

They are sturdier than any moderate price stand. I have even used them as a base for a waterbed and that's alot of water! One set up I just put cheap plywood on front and sides and stained it then put i peice of dark green and black marble on the top (which I found on trash day). It cost me $8.50 to make and sold it for $150.

10. Cynthia

that's a profit of atleast 14o dollars :) hmm...I want that micocart XDD. I would just stick them on my booksleve for one of two reasons, A it's were me betta set up is and B the shelves are just wide enough for a 8ish gal so anything would tumble over... but their high enough to keep cats away from fish :D

11. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

I have 5 cats and 6 tanks 3 are open tops. The cats are forever on the tanks drinking the water but never bother the fish :D I have built a 6 foot desk and hutch out of milk crates and a 5 foot desk top. I just use wire to conect the crates and a couple of screws to hold the hutch down. I have a thing for CHEAP DIY projects all over my house.

12. Cynthia

:) that's my problem! but my kitty Tiger doesn't understand that she can't drink outta the jars (once again...two of my 2.5 gal tanks broke and I can't find a good deal on replacements yet :-x )

though because the remaining one has alid on it..I don't think Ruby minds her girl's plight... she's a bossy little thing that mixing any fish with her would be like putting a gubby with a starving Oscar and expecting it NOT to get eatten I can't even keep a snail or ghost shrimp in her tank, but she's a sweetie and swims right up when ever I walk by her tank :D

13. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

I have a Cambodian female that every time my cat Sassy starts drinking the water she tries to attack her and bites Sassy's tongue. Sassy just ignores her she just wants a drink of water. My cats will no longer drink tap water it has to be ageded 48 hours or from the aquariums.

14. Cynthia

:) Ruby is a female Red Veiltail , Dory is a little one,can't tell with her etheir veiltail, or halfmoon female and Kami is a Crowntail betta she's sapphire though, not turquoise

for me aged water is easy..I keep 4 gal of it in my room in milk jugs

15. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

Too many tanks to be holding water for changes, I use Prime. Have you thought of a stand yet?

16. Cynthia

yea I have, cleared off my dresser top, good news is that a friend's older brother is going off to miltary school..leaving a 40 gal tank with stand with outta home :D maybe if i'm lucky I can get it for free , that has alot of potentatal, all it needs is a good cleaning, a cycling and a heater (was coldwater tank)

17. jasonG

jasonG New Member

Guys and Gals I have with me a set of VERY nice places for either a stand or what I like to call a Cabinet stand.

If you would like these plans FOR FREE (I paid for them) PM me your email. They are in WORD and EXCEL format.

18. Bharain75

Bharain75 New Member

I think you lack small furniture where you can place your tank or there is no really space in where you live. Still it is good that you have a 2 tanks there as an added furniture for the house. I have also a big tank here in my apartment where my 4 ft arowana lives and it almost cost 1/6 of the space in my living room.