1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Cichlid Diet Regimen

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Anonymous, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Hey guys, I am feeding my cichlids a combo of Kyorin green bag floating pellets and and shrimp sinking pellets. I treat them with frozen brine shrimp and frozen blood worms. I dont think they are enjoying the meal or are not getting all the nutrients they need. I am going to run to the lfs in a couple of hours so any help before then will be greatly appreciated. I have random africans.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I'm not sure what you have around you as far as fish stores goes but any place should carry Hikari Cichlid Bio Gold. That's what I started off feeding my cichlids until I started using a more expensive food, Dainichi. Dainichi isn't easy to find though.

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Ive got petco, petsmart, petsplus, and pet supermarket lol so lay it all on me

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I'm pretty sure PetCo and Petsmart should carry Hikari. They won't have Dainichi though. Hikari is a good staple food though. If you use that on a daily basis and just give them some "Seaweed Salad" which you can also get from PetCo they should be fine.

As of now how often are you feeding them and how much ?

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Twice a day, and enough so that they eat it in about five mins or so.

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

That's way way too much. What I would do to begin with is not feed them for about two days. Cichlids can go about 30 days without food and be fine. Females do it all the time when spawning so 2 days won't harm them at all.

When you feed them you should only give them what they can eat in under a minute. Cichlids will overeat very easily and can cause them to get bloat and die.

It's really only necessary to feed them once a day and even fast them once a week.