1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

cichlid pH level concern

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by smcpherson25, Aug 3, 2009.

1. smcpherson25

smcpherson25 Thread Starter New Member

i recently did a PH test on my 55gallon which read 7.6, now the test i bought is called API Test and Adjuster Kit, it only reads as low as 6.0 and as high as 7.6 so i guess it could actually even be higher, it included a color chart, test solution, pH up and pH down. i have a green terror (gold saum) a jack dempsey and a black convict that are all under 4inches. through looking up information on these fish prefered pH level i came to the conclusion that around 7 is sufficient for these fish. i did the test three days ago and it read 7.6 (possibly higher) so i followed the directions of the pH down. i waited 24hrs after i added the pH down to do another test and still reads the same, so i put in another dosage of the pH down, waited another 24hrs and still looks the same. it says on the bottle of solution "fish may be sensative to adjustments greater than .2 in a 24hr period so changes of this magnitude should be done with extreme care" so really my concern is that im going to hurt the fish if i keep adding pH down to the water. is the difference from a pH of 7 and 7.6 a big difference? should i buy a test that has a wider range than just 6.0 - 7.6? should i keep following the directions until the pH is lowered to around 7? also i keep up on water changes and tank cleaning so i dont think that is the problem, but i do use tap water wich may be the problem? would something to clean tap water help? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks
    sorry if this is in the wrong section did not know where to put it

2. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

A STABLE PH is MUCH better than trying to create an optimum PH! Keep that in mind! PH fluctuations cause stress on fish and PH down contains HIGH levels of phosphates to bring down the PH... Excess phosphates promote algae growth...

PH buffers are BAD NEWS! Trust me on this one if nothing else... been there, done that!

IF you want to lower PH use Peat Moss in your filters... It WILL turn your water amber like tea though... BUT there are not ill effects other than you are still battling the PH...

3. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

i agree with lemon...when i got my oscars and jd, my water out of the tap was 8.0 -8.2ph and very hard (my africans loved it) and i too tried to get the parameters ideal for them. i went to the pond section of the lfs and got a bag of peat granules and some small mesh bags. to make a long story short, i had a little difficult time in keeping the ph at a more ideal stable condition and ended up loosing one of my tiger o's in the ph swing of the 4 weeks i tried doing this.

4. Stellaluna

Stellaluna New Member

I try to stick with my favorite adage: "Treat the fish, not the test kit."

I would not consider making changes to the water parameters if the fish are happy and healthy.

Unless these are wild-caught specimens they are likely perfectly happy with your water. Keep up with PWCs and don't worry about the pH. The fish were probably bred in water closer to yours, anyway.

5. smcpherson25

smcpherson25 Thread Starter New Member

thanks for the help everyone

6. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

No problem!