1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Cleaning SW Equipment Help

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish Forum' started by Ryanstech, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Ryanstech

Ryanstech Thread Starter New Member

hey guys I got a great deal on some heaters and powerheads that were used in a saltwater tank that have large amounts caked on algea/calcium? (purple/white/green) not very familiar with SW so I'm hoping you have suggestions for something to easily remove this stuff

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

personally, I always use 5:1 water:plain clorox soaks when I'm cleaning nasty equipment. I can testify that it will make algae fall right off, never tried it with saltwater But I'd think it should have about the same effect.
    That or maybe try getting one of those aquarium coarse pads and scrubbing while submerged in warm water?

3. Ryanstech

I'm not excited about the process after trying to remove a bit with a knife. it's on there really good. I'll give it some clorox and water to test thanks dawn

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

no problemo!
    Oh, I called the guy at my lfs and asked him for ya...he said to soak in vinegar and water over night and to rinse the heck out of it afterwards; stated something about vinegar breaking down calcium in the coralline

5. Ryanstech

wow! thanks for the detective work dawn! I'll give that a shot tonight

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

your welcome Ryan.
    Good Luck with the cleanup. Rest those arms for scrubbing..Haha!

7. lostanime

lostanime New Member

+1 on the advice - vinegar (in modest amounts) wont hurt your tank if you don't completely clean it off, and it does wonders for cleaning up calc deposits. A year back I gave up scrubbing our pumps. Now I just take them apart and drop the parts in a bowl, and fill the bowl up with vinegar and let sit for an hour or two - deposits easily flake/dissolve right off !

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

sounds like what I did when I had the spot algae on the equip with the 5:1 water:clorox. Dropped it in the mix, rinsed, dropped it in water with prime, air dryed and back in the tank it went looking like brand new!

9. gangstafish

gangstafish Member

Clorox Bleach right not the laundry detergent? You must specify. Clorox brand makes alot of products.

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

CLOROX BLEACH, sorry I made it clear in another post..I assumed people keep on top of the forum. My bad.