1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Cloudy Tank

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by jasonG, May 24, 2010.

1. jasonG

jasonG Thread Starter New Member

Guys I have a really cloudy tank. My test are all clear and my pH is in the mid 70's. I did a 60% water change Sunday morning because it was so cloudy, but by the time I went to bed it was back to being cloudy again.

Now I really real the culprit is my new light. I have never had a cloudy tank nor have I had a light this strong either.

Now here is something else. On the top of the water is a very thin film of white stuff. Image oil being at the top of the water. It isnt thick at all, if I stick my finger in the water the film separates.

I am embarking in new territory because of this light.

2. genettico

genettico New Member

I would need more info to help you out. How old is your tank? is it stocked? what light? corals? fish?
    I think you meant your ph was 7? 70's is not a measurement of PH.

3. jasonG

aimg413.imageshack.us_img413_7898_tank1b.jpg

How old is your tank? Over 2 months old (completely cyceld)

is it stocked Not completely but I have 6 Cardnial tetras, 3 peppered corys, 2 Otos, Bristlenose, German Ram

what light 48" 2x T5 54W 6700K Daylight lamp 5000 Lumens

corals? none.

You can refer to <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theexoticfish.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4751" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4751</a> for more pics

And yes 7.5 is the pH

4. jasonG

Also the temp is 80-82

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

What filters are you using ? When was your last water change and what % did you change ?

6. jasonG

The water change info was in the second sentence of my 1st POST....I did a 60% water change Sunday morning because it was so cloudy, but by the time I went to bed it was back to being cloudy again.

Filter 1 : Aqueon Aquarium Power Filters
    For 45-60 gallon Aquariums - 325 GPH - Model CA10
    Filter 2 : Aqua-Tech: W/Bio-Fiber Advanced Biological Filtration Power Filter 10-20 Gal

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

How long ago were the fish added ? Are you adding anything to the water ?

Cloudy water like that is often a bacterial bloom.

8. jasonG

Several Several weeks ago (before the light) once I added the light that's when it started getting cloudy.

The only time I add anything to the water is when I do a water change.

1. Start Right Liquid Water Conditioner "Removes chlorine instantly, breaks the chloramine bond, neutralizes heavy metals, adds beneficial electrolytes and guards against secondary infections."

2. Clear Water Clarifier "Create a beautiful aquarium with Clear Water Clarifier. It clears cloudy water in established aquariums, caused by plant matter and overfeeding, and also rids your aquarium of unwanted microscopic organic matter. An easy way to keep your fish happy and healthy"

9. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

My first suggestion would be to stop using the water clarifying agent, it may be damaging your beneficial bacteria. I agree with anthony cloudy water usually means bacterial bloom, which in turn is usually caused by a die off of beneficial bacteria. Have you recently cleaned the filter?

10. jasonG

OK maybe I just need patience

When you first set up your tank, your tank has to cycle so the biological elements of the filter are ready to handle the waste produced by the fish. Cloudy or milky water is common during this process, but it usually does not show up until fairly late in the cycle.

If your tank has only had fish in it for a couple of weeks, or if it is new and has had a lot of fish in it for a few days, then this is the most likely cause of the cloudiness you are experiencing.

Unfortunately, the only way to get rid of this cloudiness is to have patience. As the cycle runs its course, this cloudiness will clear up—usually your tank will go from cloudy to nearly crystal clear overnight—as soon as it is ready.

During this time, remember to continue your extra water changes (about 10-15% twice a week while the tank cycles), and to be very careful about feeding your fish. Adding chemicals to try to clarify the water in a tank that is still cycling will often hamper the cycling process, and is unlikely to have much effect on the cloudiness.

11. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

I thought you said your tank was cycled, do you know your nitrIte and nitrAte readings?

12. genettico

genettico New Member

There is some discrepancies with your statement. During cycling, cloudy water is almost the first thing to be noticed, as the bacteria that consumes the nh3 (ammonia) becomes visible in the water column with light. That "haze" you see is thousands, if not millions of bacteria gorging themselves. As the cycle progreses this bacteria gets consumed by a different type and drops from the column and is when the water starts to clear up. At the beggining and thru cycling and for the first several months of it's birth, it's quemistry goes thru ups and downs and the bacterial counts fight for food, space ect. This "balancing" also called New tank syndrome, can take weeks even up to 8 or 9 months. Adding chemicals to deal while cycling could "halt" (hamper or such) cycling, but if you add "bacteria in a bottle" will help your tank cycle faster. Doing water changes only elongates the cycling, as it does not allow the bacteria to stabilize and the water changes themselves almost always kill beneficial bacteria that is helping you cycle. FEEDING is definately to be watched during this period. My guess is that you are OVERFEEDING, and is not helping your situation. As you overfeed, this creates more waste, and this in turn more ammonia, and this, more bacteria to eat it, and thus more HAZE. Limit feeding, stop doing water changes, and have patience as you so well put it. If your fish start exhibiting sings of stress consider a quarantine for them to allow the tank to fully cycle or diminish feeding even more. At this time is easier to kill your fish by excess ammonia than by overfeeding. Try and lower your temp, little by little. This allows for more o2 concentration in the water column and allows your tank's bacteria to flourish faster. Do not move the filters, stop sticking your hands in the water, ect. LET NATURE do what it does best.... BALANCE.

13. jasonG

It has cycled a week before adding fish... also mentioned in my first post "My test are all clear " no positive reading.

I did clean the filter media WITH COLD WATER as recommended every 3 to 4 weeks.

14. jasonG

"My guess is that you are OVERFEEDING, and is not helping your situation" I know this isnt the case because I am feeding them once a day (very very small amount) Stomachs the size of their eyes. I even went a day in a half without feeding them.

It might also be a plant....It said plant decay can cause this... I have several plants but none of which looks like it is decaying.

15. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

When we say 'cycle' we are referring to the nitrogen cycle, not simply allowing a tank to run and filter. Typically it takes weeks for a tank to complete the cycle process once fish are added.

I think that Start Right might have something to do with it. Try only using a product like Seachem Prime when you do your water changes. There's no need to use something that adds extra stuff to the water other then to neutralize chlorine, chloramines etc.

16. nossie

nossie Member

One more thing, I don't think it's very smart to clean out the filter with cold water. Are you talking about tap water then?
    The filter should ONLY be cleaned with water from the tank! Anything other than this will damage the beneficial bacteria in your filter, and then the cycle starts all over again. Which may cause the cloudy water.

And please, feed your fish at least twice a day :'C (still small amounts though)

17. jasonG

Sorry Anthony I am not an amatur when it comes to tanks.... For the cycling process I used raw shrimp to increase the Ammonia levels and waiting for this process to wrap up. 1 month later I added fish. I might be going through a "mini-cycle" since the fish are now added.

"There's no need to use something that adds extra stuff to the water other then to neutralize chlorine, chloramines etc" OK I will try this....HOWEVER I have always used StartRight and I have never had this happen before.

Again I still think it ALL points back to the lights because I had the tank up and running a whole month (With Fish) and the water wasnt like this. I add the light and instantatly the tank starts getting cloudy. I had LOADS of plants and I think it is the culprip but so far noone is pointing me in that direction.

18. jasonG

OHHHH WELL this might be it. When I installed the light I did a 20% water change and CLEANED the filter with cold water. I have ALWAYS done this and never got these types of results. THANKS I will know in the future not to do this.

19. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

2x T5 54W 6700K Daylight lamp 5000 Lumens on a 55g is low lighting for sure (just under 2wpg) and I couldn't imagine this being the culprit. How long are you leaving the light on?

Have you been able to take you water to your lfs to have them test it for you? If not can you pick up a liquid test kit such as api freshwater master kit that can be viewed here--> <a class="postlink" href="http://aquariumpharm.com/Products/Product.aspx?ProductID=67" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://aquariumpharm.com/Products/Produ ... oductID=67</a> ?
    If so, I'd run a complete test on everything and compare your readings to there book and post them if you don't mind.

I do agree that it looks like a bacterial bloom of sorts but if nothing new was added (and you're using the same chemical bottles of the baddy remover and water clarifier...because it's always possible to get a bad bottle) and you're feeding a quality food and not over feeding then the only other thought would be a mini cycle (possibly due to "washing" the stuff in cold water rather than in a bucket of tank water which is removing your colony of BB).

If all the tests come back within safe range, you've done the partial, added nothing besides baddy remover...then if you have a buddy with a uv see if you can borrow it for a day or two and run that on the tank to rule out algae type bloom.

20. genettico

genettico New Member

False negative tests are very likely after water chenges and the addition of chemicals. If you recently added more light perhaps made the bacteria that WAS there more visible, nothing more/less! If the lights are the culprit it could be because of a temperature spike and the subsequent die off of bacteria, or perhaps as someone suggested plant die off due to improper photoadaptation. Please, do get a test kit. Again, if your fish are fine, if your plants are fine, if everything seems fine but a haze in the water.... let it be... let nature fix it for you.... I like to tell this to people:

"if it ain't broke.... don't fix it..."

Regards,
    genettico