1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Cloudy Tank

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by jasonG, May 24, 2010.

1. nossie

nossie Member

Good thing you figured it out :) Keep your water tests ready! ;D

2. James0816

James0816 New Member

A couple things...

Cloudy: Take a clear glass container and scoop some out. Is it whitish or green tinted?

Lighting: T5's at 2x 54w will actually be more intense than 2wpg. What lighting did you convert from?

Oily Film: This is actually biofilm. Perfectly normal when there is a lack of circulation. Look at adding an air stone or power head to break the surface. I get this alot in my tanks as I dose CO2. I turn on the airstones at night to keep things in check.

3. jasonG

jasonG Thread Starter New Member

In my first post again I mentioned I have run test and yes I have my own test kit and NO positive reading. Ph was 7.5. I have been assured by other aquatic enthusiast that this light will give me the results I so despireatly desired for my plants.
    The water now has a slightly green tint to it, middle on down to the bottom of the tank. This is the reason I did a 50% water change Sunday. I will do a 20% tonight. The only thing added since the light was 2 Anacharis plants and 1 MicroSword. No other fish. Also my 2 betta Bulbs finally started to sprout.

4. jasonG

Now that is another question.... Obviously the light produces heat and with it being summer I dont run the AC much when I am not at home. My temp in the tank is consistatly 82 however I would like to keep it at about 78-79. How do I do this?

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

for the heat simply turn down your heater, if that doesn't do the trick then you can use a fan blowing across the top of the water. <a class="postlink" href="http://www.marinedepot.com/Cooling_Fans_for_Aquarium_Lighting-FILTACAF-ct.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.marinedepot.com/Cooling_Fans ... AF-ct.html</a>
    do you have something such as a temp alert? wondering if that water is getting much hotter when you're not home (that could cause your hazy/greenish water...plant death...etc)

If your water is looking green then your defin. having an algae bloom. Again, uv sterilizer recommended (but if you have a buddy ask if you can borrow there's first).

I seen you listed ph in the previous but what about nitrites, nitrates, ammonia (sorry if I missed them, some of the postings are on the lengthy side).

6. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

Turn your heater down as suggested, however if you suspect the heat is coming from the lighting fixture then simply float some frozen water bottles of water in the tank to gradually lower the temp.

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

water bottles are a great idea!, but if you're not going to be home to monitor it and constantly need to do this to lower the temp the fans will be an easier solution for you. AND if your tank tends to get warmer say mid-day you can simply put the fans on a timer to come on just during that time rather than running them 24/7

8. James0816

James0816 New Member

There's your bingo....algae bloom. Time for a 3 day black out.

9. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

You could do a black out or add some fast growing nutrient hogs such as water lettuce to suck up the extra nutrients causing the algae outbreak.

10. jasonG

1. I will do this when I get home from work..I am going to say green tinted because when I did my water change Sunday it had a greenish tint to it. I will recheck.

2. I went from 2 T8 15W = 30watts

3. THANKS I was going to ask about an air stone and the purpose. Also are you saying that I am not getting enought FILTRATION? I am Filtering over 80gph

Here are my filters
    Filter 1 : Aqueon Aquarium Power Filters For 45-60 gallon Aquariums - 325 GPH - Model CA10
    Filter 2 : Aqua-Tech: W/Bio-Fiber Advanced Biological Filtration Power Filter 10-20 Gal

11. jasonG

AGREED... and that's where the NEW lighting setup comes in to play...

Now I do turn the lights out around 8-9pm CST and turn them back on around 6am CST.

"You could do a black out or add some fast growing nutrient hogs such as water lettuce to suck up the extra nutrients causing the algae outbreak."

UMMM I might look into this.

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Fast Summary

filtration for 55g at optimum 8-10x per hour would be 440 - 500 gph.
    MORE is always better when it comes to filtration...and if it's too strong you can always pre-filter.

Again, if the water has a green tint to it you're looking at an algae bloom.
    You can do as James suggested and try the 3 day blackout (cover the tank, don't peek, don't worry about feeding as healthy fish will be okay for 3 days) OR you can borrow/buy a UV sterilizer and run that.

BUT with your high heat your experiencing I'd still suggest to turn the heater down to 78-80F and monitoring it throughout the day (if you can keep an eye on it get yourself a Tom temp alert that will do if for you..cheaper on ebay). If you continue to experience troubles with the temp of your water/ fluct. then I'd purchase a fan and run that across the top of the tank/water. IF a certain time of the day is hotter than the rest then you can set it on a timer to run only during that time frame. Examples of cooling fans are linked below.
    <a class="postlink" href="http://www.marinedepot.com/Cooling_Fans_for_Aquarium_Lighting-FILTACAF-ct.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.marinedepot.com/Cooling_Fans ... AF-ct.html</a>

and with the lighting I wouldn't run it more than 10 hours, if you're still experiencing issues slowly cut it back by a half hour-1hour at a time until you find your "Sweet" spot. (Timers are an aquatic keepers best friend) :)

13. James0816

James0816 New Member

Confirms the algae bloom. Recommended course of action is a three day complete black out. No lights and cover tank with a blanket or similar.

That's a big jump from 2x T8 15w to 2x T5 54w. That created the algae playing field.

Nope...just surface aggitation. The biofilm is common place when there is little to no surface movement.

14. jasonG

Ok I am beginning to look in the UV sterilizer. So recommendations please. I found some on EBAY. I am assuming this will become a permanant fixure in the aquarium? There is several different watts Which would be best for my setup?

15. James0816

James0816 New Member

Now that is something unfortunately I can't help with. Don't use them. To be honest with ya...not really needed if you ask me. ;)

16. jasonG

OK tell me what you would do to eliminate this from occuring time and time again?

17. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

They can be OUTSIDE of your tank.
    I use the coralife turbotwist, just stay away from the jebo's (heard bad things about them).

IF you do the blackout and all is well then you can do as others suggested...airstone to create surface agitation...possibly increased filtartion...cut back on your feeding amt...check your phosphates and nitrates (if they're the culprit there's products you can use such as Seachem de*nitrate and phosphate filter pads you can cut and use)...notch the heat back to 78..80F at most (although plants will appreciate a bit lower 76ish to 78ish)....make sure when you clean your filter you do it in aquarium water (you can use a bucket/pan...simply take some of the dirty water you're pulling out from partials and use that to "clean" your stuff in...that way your bb will stay intact)...use limited products in the water -- simply a good dechlorinator such as Prime and any plant dosing IF you plan on doing so or CO2 (james has a great co2 recipe/inst in the diy area)...and not sure how long you're running the new light but I wouldn't go more than 10-11 hours at most (if you have to cut back the lighting do it slowly)...and partials should be aprox. 35% each week (can do larger amounts and even do partials daily if you so choose).

AND if your dosing for plants remember NO carbon media as it will remove the stuff your dosing the plants with.

18. James0816

James0816 New Member

If you must know my secret to success...I had an algae bloom once.....once <insert Danny Vermin voice there> ;o)

In all seriousness though...I only experienced the bloom once myself. And actually it was for the same thing...an upgrade of the lighting. Did the blackout and have not had any reoccurances in that tank.

19. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Lucky Brat, I did the blackout and couldn't get over mine..did the uv and haven't had a problem since :)

20. jasonG

WELL it sounds like James is my man because I am also going to be looking into CO2..

WHAT????? "AND if your dosing for plants remember NO carbon media as it will remove the stuff your dosing the plants with." IS THIS TRUE? I am assuming my filter media has carbon in it.

Filter 1 : Aqueon Aquarium Power Filters For 45-60 gallon Aquariums - 325 GPH - Model CA10
    Filter 2 : Aqua-Tech: W/Bio-Fiber Advanced Biological Filtration Power Filter 10-20 Gal