1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Cloudy Tank

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by jasonG, May 24, 2010.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Yep, Carbon's purpose is to remove odors, tannins and chemicals such as medications. The tiny carbon particles are tremendously absorbent, like sponges. This is why many recommend canisters for planted tanks (because you can control the choice of media).

2. jasonG

jasonG Thread Starter New Member

CRAP...... so how do I get plants the stuff they NEED, whithout changing filter media

3. jasonG

Also I want to run this by you to see if it might help a little as well. I do still have my 2 15W lights.

What if I moved my 108 W T5 up a little, put my 2 15W lights in the back and do this.

From 6am to 8am Use 30Watts
    From 8am to 4pm use the 108W
    From 4pm to 9pm use the 30Watts
    Off from 9pm to 6am

Would this help a little

4. James0816

James0816 New Member

This is another highly debated topic in plant world...however...there is hope in DIY.

I ask but one question....do you have a razor blade? With that single razor blade, you can make a small incision into those already prepared media filters and remove said carbon from them.

Piece of cake! <or pie if you don't like cake> :D

5. jasonG

Well actually there is a section where said MEDIA can be replaced... What do I then replace SAID media WITH?

6. jasonG

As far as adding some movement to the water via air stone, would this be OK

[​IMG]

7. James0816

James0816 New Member

That too. You can just use regular poly-fil and place in your filters. Check out the craft section of Wally World. You can get a whole bag that will last you a very long time.

And the power head will do just fine for water movement.

8. jasonG

OK James thanks...

Now what do you think of my lighting schedule.....-

9. jasonG

Guys what about this?

ai.walmartimages.com_i_p_00_04_70_02_62_0004700262066_215X215.jpg

WILL it help as well

10. nossie

nossie Member

I've heard about many people using this, it works d:
    But I, personally, think that it's better not to add too much of extra chemicals to your water, and rather handle the algae by more natural means. Like adding more plants that will starve the algae, or by decreasing the temperature and amount of time with the light on. Btw, you don't have your tank in direct sunlight, do you?

11. jasonG

No LOL not at all.

OK I am thinking of picking this up on the way home because I want a somewhat QUICK fix. Will this do?

[​IMG]

Ultraviolet sterilizers kill free floating algae in ponds resulting in crystal clear water. The radiation from ultraviolet light at 2537 angstroms provided inside the Lifegard Ultraviolet Sterilizer exerts a lethal effect on micro-organisms. UV light alters genetic material within the cells, which interrupts respiration. UV light, when used properly, is extremely beneficial in destroying disease causing pathogens as they pass through the unit. UV sterilization is an effective method of disease control. Pure hard quartz material in the bulb dramatically increases UV output compared to other conventional bulbs of equal wattage. Pure quartz material resists solarization and improves the longevity of the bulb. Unique test tube style pure hard quartz sleeve isolates the bulb from water contact preventing thermal shock, broken glass and mercury contamination of the aquarium. This quartz sleeve isolates the bulb to provide an optimal bulb operating temperature of 100F (38C). This higher bulb temperature increases UV output 35% over conventional units without sleeves. Bulb changing is the easiest in the industry. Slide the old bulb out and slide the new bulb in. No need to shut down the filter system or turn off the pump. Bulb and ballast connect together with a single four-pin connector. UV radiation levels can be increased by slowing down the flow rate or increasing the total wattage in the system. Made in China.

Up to 240 GPH

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

yep, the uv shown should work. Not familar with it but make sure you have the proper connector as most require a canister filter.

for media you could use bio-balls, chem pure, broken pieces of terra cotta, etc.

13. jasonG

Found out at the store this product cant be used with LIVE PLANTS.

14. jasonG

OH this isnt something you just put into your TANK?

15. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

that's why you have to read about it...I know there's models out there that simply go into the tank, but the better majority you have to hook up to a canister filter.
    Coralife TurboTwist you have to hook up to a canister (I know this because I own one).
    The one you are showing I'm almost positive is the same (needs a canister)--> <a class="postlink" href="http://www.lifegardaquatics.com/products/product.php?id=5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.lifegardaquatics.com/product ... t.php?id=5</a>

UPDATE: it does require a canister..I just peeked at the instructions.

16. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

this is to show you an example of the in-tank models (note...I've heard many bad things about the jbj line, but have no experience with them)... <a class="postlink" href="http://www.freshmarine.com/jbj-submariner-7w-uv.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.freshmarine.com/jbj-submariner-7w-uv.html</a>

17. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

Be careful with this as it may cause problems with killing of your fish and most of the time it kills inverts now and forever no matter the amount of water changes you do, I would so NO to it.

18. James0816

James0816 New Member

Chems bad! Never use em.

Debating on the lighting. What I would do instead if you use both would be to turn on the T8's first for your time, then the T5s would come on...keeping the T8s on. Then vise versa...turn off the 5s then the 8's. Don't keep your photo period any longer than 10hrs.

19. jasonG

Yeap it said that too...."it kills inverts"

SO I just did a 20% water change and hooked up the OLD lights 2 T8 15w = 30W and currently running them until 9 and that's when the lights GO OUT.

Also I removed 3 plants which I think were rotting...One of which smelled ABSOLUTELY horrible.

So what I will do is

From 6am to 8am Use 30Watts
    From 8am to 4pm use the 108W
    From 4pm to 9pm use the 30Watts
    Off from 9pm to 6am

OH yea also guys I am excited because I found new GROWTH on several of my plants....That atleast means I am doing SOMETHING right.

20. jasonG

AHH ok could you do me a time schedule?