1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

clown fish problem - spots

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases & Cures' started by Anonymous, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

i got a clown from a buddy of mine and one of his side have a faded spot near the tail. wat can it be or how should i take care of this? it kind of like this one but not that faded
    awww.wetwebmedia.com_DamselPIX_Clownfishes_clown1_20color_20loss.JPG

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Re: clown fish problem

It looks like ich and clownfish disease to me. It's hard to tell but if you're sure that one "spot" isn't ich then it's more than likely clownfish disease. Does it look like the surface of his skin is coming off ?

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

no. its just fading a little spot color. also one side of the fin is not together. it not like the picture but only one line. i'm talking about the top of the fin on the fish in the picture.
    arecollectionbooks.com_bleed_images_BB_fishFins2_tn.jpg

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I'm not sure what you mean now.

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

let me try to get some picture. ok.

6. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

7. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

yeah it's just a faded spot.....i had a clown with one too.

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

well he be fine. wat about the fin fray. how should i go about taking care of this. i think he is getting better. the fin is coming back together. my buddy had him in his side tank and he saw these on him so he decided to give it to me. and wat about the injury mark. its like a cut on each side of the body going toward the tail.

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

The fins will heal. You can do more frequent water changes to aid in healing. Marina Melafix can be used as well and will repair the fin completely in several days.

10. genettico

genettico New Member

Melafix is an antibacterial and as such will kill beneficial bacteria in your tank too! If used make sure you dont overdose! The pictures dont show the specifics of the problem though, it does loog fungal/bacterial! If it is on this 2 fish consider your husbandry as a problem! water conditions may not be the best! Water temperature fluctuations coupled with over nutrients in poor circulated water usually leads to fungal/bacterial diseases.

11. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

right now he look fine. white spot is gone and he is swimming great. thank guy.

12. genettico

genettico New Member

Most diseases are attributed to stress caused by enviromental factors! Good husbandry and constancy on water parameters allows for your fish's immunities to deal with a great variety of diseases!
    Im glad your fishy is ok!

13. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

That's not true. Everything I have read specifically on Melafix and BB stated that Melafix does not harm BB. I've even gone as far to contact AP Directly about this. I spoke with someone from the lab and he told me that there are no adverse effects on BB.

14. genettico

genettico New Member

Of course they told you there's no adverse effects on your BB! That will be bad for their business! lol! The reality is different! the spectrum on the melafix is a gram positive and negative broad spectrum antibiotic, and does kill beneficial bacteria. The amount is somewhat neglectable (at best) most times since the amount of beneficial bacteria is so great in your tank and it far outweights the amount of the "bad" bacteria you are trying to kill , most test kits on the market do not detect the die off! Consider this, if the BB was NOT affected by the medication, so the medication must not be so effective at doing it's job on killing bacteria in the 1st place. Melafix is VERY effective. If you use as directed you wont see a considerable die off to worry about, if you dont.... you suffer the risk of killing enough BB to create slight ammonia spikes, and the follow up of other dis-balances!
    Here is a little test we did in labs before to prove this:
    Get some of your tank's water, ebough substrate of equal quantities and maybe a little piece of LR (same quantity and density) in 2 cups (one is the control)and aereate/circulate just as if you were trying to make a small little tank. Pre test both little tanks for ammonia,N02,n03,SG,temp, ect. After this add the recommended amount of Melafix in one of the cups and let the tanks be for a day! Re-test the water! Not likely you will see a spike on ammonia or others unless you are testing with lab grade testers. Now.... if it is true that the Melafix does not affect your BB, you should be able to keep on adding it on the same proportion to the little tank and never see a die off (ammonia,n02,n03) right?
    After all... you are not introducing organics that could give false readings as in your main tank.
    Melafix works great, just use as directed and you should not see noticeable changes on your water's quemistry, overuse and you might have a prob in your hands!

15. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

I've seen nothing that proves melafix kills beneficial bacteria

16. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

The maker of Koizyme also states that Melafix will not harm their product, which is supposed to be "a proprietary, organic preparation of non-pathogenic bacteria, enzymes and micro-nutrients".

The problem with using tank water and substrate in a cup and seeing if ammonia spikes is that there's nothing in the cup actively producing ammonia for the beneficial bacteria to "eat".

17. genettico

genettico New Member

There is enough for the BB to eat in the water alone! There is great amounts of undetectable ammonia just suspended in the water,TDS,(organics) and remember also some of the bacteria itself dies off producing food. Koizyme is a biological enhancer, and as such needs some ammonia in it, to feed the bacteria within the bottle. The amount of ammonia traced on it, is more than significant to be able to be used for testing.