1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Ich / Ick clown loach problems- ich & swollen belly

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases & Cures' started by jrow8162, Apr 14, 2009.

1. jrow8162

jrow8162 Thread Starter Member

I have quick cure for emergency's... Hopefully wont have to use it this time..

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Just looking for an update on the clown loaches jrow, how are they doing?

3. jrow8162

Sorry for the delayed response. The news is good this time. I lost the small one but the other two are fine now. I kept the temp at 86 degrees for 2 weeks and the ich cleared right up. I have been dropping the temp for the past few days. I want to keep it at a little over 80 to avoid future issues. I think I have learned that with the Clown Loaches quarantine is a good idea.

Anthony, thanks for the advice on the Heat method. I wont treat it any other way now!!!

4. jrow8162

Ok, Loaches got ich again. I've had the heat in the tank up between 86-90 for over a week. My large clown loach appears to be dying now which really sucks because its my favorite fish... :( Just got off the phone with my daughter and she thinks its dead. The other one is hiding out so I haven't been able to tell how its doing. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about using salt. Would that be a bad idea?

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I used Mela-fix on mine when I got bad ones from the lfs.
    Everyone pulled through fine too (and it was really bad)!

ps. are you remember to increase the aeration of the tank with the higher heat?

6. jrow8162

Yeah, I have an airstone that is he length of the back of the tank. Whole wall of bubbles going up the back. I'm using Quline to treat them since the heat wasnt working this time. The heat is still up and I did a 30% water change and pulled the carbon before I treated the tank.

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

never heard of that particular product, and the long airstone is perfect considering how high the heat is...I'm truly amazed the heat didn't do the trick?
    Hopefully it will pull through!
    what do you all have in that tank these days?? wondering if something in there is stressing them (ie when breeding something may be guarding)?

8. jrow8162

African Cichlids. They never bother the Loaches. This is the same tank that my heater blew up in though. The temp has been lower since I put the new heater in. I'm wondering if that might have had something to do with it.

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

if we're only talking a degree or two..I doubt it.
    I'm amazed the africans don't go after them..I had africans myself a while back and they were nasty buggers once they hit about 3" +