1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!
  1. heyfishiesfishies

heyfishiesfishies Thread Starter New Member

co2?
    hi everyone.. I just switched from gravel to charcoal turface in my 46g bowfront. The fish are now still in the 18g rubbermaid with a sponge filter. I plan to put them back tomorrow after testing the water. I added some vals and dwarf sags and spread 5 root tabs across the tank. Plan to get some more plants tomorrow. I have a 96w, 100,000k power compact flourescent. So do i need any other fertilizer or co2 for the plants to grow? Thanks. Will take picture tonight and post tomorrow.

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:15 pm
    46g with 96w comes to 2.08wpg. That puts you in the low-moderate range as far as lighting goes...and the 100,000k I'm hoping is a typo for 10,000K. Regardless, 10,000k isn't great for plants...you'll want 6700K full spectrum bulb instead running at roughly 11 hours (a set timer is best).

Are we talking major plantage in this tank? Also, please be aware NOT to use Flourish Excel or your vals will suffer big time (Made that mistake already myself).

See how they do with the root tabs alone would be my suggestion. If they aren't coming along as you'd like then I'd hit them with some Seachem Flourish 1x a week (or something similar) and see how they do. As you can tell I'm a fan of adding things slowly to see what IF ANY results are produced.
    Right now I have about 2.88wpg on my tank with 6700K bulbs and am dosing it with Flourish 1x week, Flourish Excel (I have no vals anymore) every other day, flourish phosphorus every other week, and flourish Iron when I feel it is needed (for the most part it never is) and hagen Nutra-fin plant spikes (equiv of root tabs but last 1 year) placed sporadically. Co2 is always beneficial, it just depends on how much work you want to get into. Hope that helps!

3. heyfishiesfishies

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:02 pm
    Thanks Dawn! Yes..it's a 10,000k. I ordered my light from drsfoster&smith and the 6,700k bulb was broken when it came. I called and they said they'd send me another one in 2 weeks. So i went around and bought this used light bulb 10,000k for $20 at a lfs. The guy told me that 10,000k is great for plant..so..hihi. I guess I will replace it with the 6,700k bulb this Friday and try to sell back the 10,000k bulb on craigslist. I'm thinking of making diy co2...b/c I do'nt have the space and $$$ for pressurized one.

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:28 am
    unless you have a ton of plants in there I don't think you'll need one. You don't have high need plants and they aren't in the high spectrum (reds, pinks). I know theirs some diy ones in the diy area.

5. James0816

James0816 New Member

Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:56 am
    The sags will definately appreciate the CO2. The question is what other plants are you adding?

For this size tank, you will need to go with a two bottle setup. Look for the Hi-C jugs. These make excellent vessels for this as you will have to increase your mix.

6. heyfishiesfishies

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:58 pm
    Thanks James and Dawn. yaaaaaaayy..the light bulb came this morning..When i opened it, to my surprise, it came with the whole fixture... So i got 2 for a price of one..lol. DrsFosterSmith rocks!!! I just added some more plants yesterday..i think they are anubias, sword plant, and the onion kind..hihi. And here are some pics ...I'm bad with aquascaping..please give comments and suggestions..thanks.

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:19 pm
    looking good..move those ital vals (if thats what they are...towards the back ..they'll get really tall).

and ignore this..but this is just me...I'd put the rock in the center of the tank...plug those ?vals into the left corner..or if you have more spread them evenly across the back knowing they'll get tall and need clipped at some point.
    small grass like plants all in the front to make a complete border (as you have them)...then rest spaced evenly in the mid section.

Ps. Know those ?swords that have the melon shaped leaves will spread.

8. heyfishiesfishies

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:28 pm
    Once again..Thanks Dawn for everything..you're the best!!!!!!!!! I really like the plants in my tank. And I think my gups love them too.

9. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:15 pm
    i dont know if the guy replied yet but its really strigh forward co2 gets shot in then tube connected to powerhead forces the air bubles through the filter pad or w/e u got

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:27 pm
    Your soo welcome. Your tank looks great!
    I know your loving the light fixture too! I'm thrilled with mine :)