1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Completely "True" Red Female Betta (Help with finding)

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by matrixmommy, Feb 24, 2009.

1. matrixmommy

matrixmommy Thread Starter New Member

Am I being too picky?

I really want a red female betta (true red, not blue and red or white wih red fins). I can't find any at the local pet shops (they usually have a pretty poor selection of females, although I did get a beautiful blue female at Petsmart last week). I know they exist because I've seen pics of them online. Anyone know of a place online where you can pick the color of the betta being sent to you? Also, I'm not looking to spend a ton of money here. I found one place that wanted $40 a piece for their females. Not looking to show, just looking to brighten up the new tank. Thanks!

2. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Re: Am I being too picky?

I have no id how hard they are to find up there but I'm sure a lil efford will do ;)

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Females aren't as common to come across (at least not in my area)...honestly the only petstore that I know that DOES carry females is Petsmart. You can try online places like Ebay or Aquabid (if you trust them)??

4. matrixmommy

I found a really gorgeous turquiose female at Petsmart today (Tuesdays are their fish delivery days) and they also had a female that was so deep purple she looked almost velvety black. I got the turquoise female, but didn't get the purple one (could only afford one) because she looked a lot like my blue female. There was a site the guy at Petco told me to try, but I can't remember the name of it for the life of me...it was something like underthesea.com or something like that.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I haven't really looked at bettas in a long time, but I think the only place close by for me is at lest an hour away, and even then it may be one or two of the big box places like petsmart.

6. matrixmommy

I talked to the fish guy at Walmart today and he breeds bettas and angelfish and said that next time he orders bettas (he doesn't sell his bettas to Walmart, for some reason), he'll keep an eye out for a red female. He said he'd seen them before.

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Probably because he knows how they are cared for, or should I say lack of cared for.

8. matrixmommy

Hehe...true. I got my cellophane male from Walmart though and he is doing great. Probably because I got him the first day they got their new shipment in, so he didn't have a chance to be mistreated.

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I've seen sooo many kids shaking them up in the infamous blue goo that they live in...I hate those plastic bowls they put them in, but it's better than some of those betta wall dividers they stick them in where they can't even spin around.

10. matrixmommy

Ugh! I know! I won't put my bettas in anything less than a one gallon and even then I move them to a bigger tank as soon as I can. When my tax money comes in next week I'm going to buy a 10 gallon and divide it for my cellophane and my red betta boys.

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Wow! they'll be loving all that room for sure.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

dang I'm starting to fear fish stores now!!!!! The horror!!!!!!

13. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Lol Scott, not ALL of them are like that...just the better majority of them Sadly.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

yea but all the one I normal go to are, althought I do know one that seem good to their fish, althought it the one I can't really go to that often and can almost ever buy from it.

15. matrixmommy

The one small pet store we have that sells fish, I would never get fish from...period. Their tanks are horribly dirty and not well-lit at all and their fish don't seem all that healthy. Even their saltwater tanks are kinda ick. I get my fish usually from Petsmart, but sometimes Petco if they have one I like.

And as for my bettas having all that room, ever since I moved Al (the blue and red crowntail) from the tiny one gallon to the Hex5, he's been healthier, happier and fiestier. I am going to have the money to set up the other two with nice tanks, so I figure why not.

16. James0816

James0816 New Member

I ran across a place online that has/had some really beautiful crimson's. I'm not much of a betta person but let me check my bookmarks and see if I by chance kept the link.

17. matrixmommy

Thanks!

18. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Well,, Today it's fish deleviry day at my lfs store to. I always check it out even whem I'm sure I aint gonna buy any thing. And guess what, they have exactly the female betta you want! :eek:

19. matrixmommy

Gah!!! LOL! Just my luck. Grr!

20. matrixmommy

Oh! I found a place that sells them online! YAY! The red females are in the second block of them. $5.25 isn't bad...more than I would pay at Petsmart or Petco, but *shrug*

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.aquariumfish.net/catalog_pages/bettas/betta_females.htm#short-tail-females" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.aquariumfish.net/catalog_pag ... il-females</a>

Anyone bought from them before? The only thing that kind of is a "eh" for me is the fact that I can't pick a specific one, so I don't know exactly what shade it'd be...hrm...