1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Completely "True" Red Female Betta (Help with finding)

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by Anonymous, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Betta Housing & Breeding (Advice)

OK I'm looking in to may be starting to breed betas and I'm wondering if a 2.2 gallon tank would be fine?

Also what the best size to sell them or trade them in to a local fish store?

and what the best way to split up the males so they don't fight.

2. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Re: Betta Housing & Breeding (Advice)

Thanks, I hope the 2.2 set I'm think will work OK for them.

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Biggers always better. I'd go 10 and make them super happy..that's just me though. Good luck!

4. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I really don't have room to set up 10 gallon tanks, If I did I would. but budget wise and room wise I can't really spare.

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

You can always do dividers.

6. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

true, but there still the room, I don't think I can fit a 10 gallon tank on my book self.

7. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

dawn is right i know ALOT about bettas.. bigger the better.. they will be way happier in a 10 g plus more room for the bubble nest... and like dawn said you can always use a divider so that way you dont have to keep taking the female in and out less chances of something happening to her. when they are breeding watch them closely because the male can kill the female with ease.. hope i was of some help..

Scott [cya]

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

thanks, I would go with a 10 but like I said, NO ROOM for one.

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Then I wouldn't get into the breeding. In small aquariums such as 2.5 your gonna have stress related issues..not to mention water quality.

10. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!! THAT BEAR IS EVIL!!! [boxing] [laughing]

11. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I like my posts to stay on topic as much as possible, so may I know how does that have to do with the topic?

12. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

sorry writer inside joke with dawn.. ill stay on topic..Sorry :(

13. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

that OK, I just like staying on topic, there is a reason for a off-topic forum is there not, greet now I'm getting off topic.

OK I'm wondering if a 2.2 gallon holding set up won't work well could I do a 4. some thing tank to hold them when they are staying buy them selves? that would make the spawning tank to 8 to 9 gallons. (Also making it cost more for the tanks to.)

14. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

writer now that might work... you will just have to give it a shot ya know.. everone has there own ways to breed you might have to just give it a wirl ;)

ive known people to keep them in smaller wich is mean but it worked for them so in the end its up to you.

Scott

15. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I don't want to be mean, but I also want to breed them, and I'm also trying to save money and space. I have very little space, I might have to start moving some in to my closet.

I'm thinking once my micro worms are 3+ containers I would have to move them to my dresser in my closet as it is.

16. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

sounds like a winner ;) so your saying have them each separated itno their own 4 gallon tanks but when you want to breed move them into an 8 or 9 gallon? if so that SHOULD work with no problem...but make sure after the eggs are places in the bubbles and when you take the female you keep the male betta in there he protects the bubble nest ;)

Scott

17. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

First, let me address the going off topic. MOST threads do stray...we're not soo strict that we can't be friendly (also I do know about the off topic section, but at times as I'm sure you've read across the board..once the answer is up...many times it strays). However, I do understand your point also and I will do my best to answer all of your questions/concerns.

*Sends the other Scott to the timeout corner for being bad :) *

Okay, now for your other question. I must tell you that the smaller the tank is..the harder it will be to maintain stability in the water parameters (which will not only stress fish, but as such can also cause illness).

Knowing you have little room...My suggestion would be to allow spawning to occur in the 10g with a divider in place (you now have 2 seperate areas)..on top of this you can hang Two 5-in-1 plastic breeders at the front of your tank (you now have 4 seperate areas)...if you choose to leave the top open you can also place the 5-in-1 breeders on BOTH sides (you now have 6 seperate areas)...the benefit in doing this is that you will only have 1 tank to maintain. Fish can always be removed to a plastic cup during water changes and equipment (ie heater/filtration) would only be needed for 1 setup.

Also...you could use any section for grow-outs.

Other than a 10g the absolute smallest I would go would be a 5 gallon divided for a breeding pair..but to me that would be pushing the comfort limits.

I know others say you can use a cup for bettas...no heater..etc etc.
    But in My Opinion that is a squished unhappy betta that is barely able to turn around...I know I wouldn't want that life.

For me, as with all my pets...I give them ample room and meet all their needs to the best of my ability/knowledge. I try to put myself in their situation and think would I want this if I were them. Okay, so I am a fur, feather, fin lover :) .

18. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I know, I have done a lot of reading, I find it strange that it the male that will take care of them, seeing how they are the ones that like to fight like mad.

I know about the taking out a female as soon as spawning is done, and you should take the male out around day 4 or 5 to make sure he doesn't start eating the babies.

19. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

you are correct ;) i would definetely try it. something different ya know. i dont see why it wouldnt work.

20. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I OK if the topic changes a little, but I kinda like to keep it focus for when some one looking over the thread for answers.

about 2-3 pages of off topic stuff my leaded them to give looking for their answer.

that really my only problem with going off topic.