1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Completely "True" Red Female Betta (Help with finding)

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by Anonymous, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Re: Betta Housing & Breeding (Advice)

thanks my Fellow Scott, by chance to have any Scottish blood in you?

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

The males fight like mad over survival of the fittest well knowing the one that remains will score the female. Similar to humans in that way...as males will fight amongst themselves for the "prized" female. [argue] Again, females will do the same for the "prized" male.

Sounds like you know about the bettas but here is a very good article just in case:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2002252_breed-betta-fish.html

this one is just "okay" http://www.wikihow.com/Breed-Betta-Fish

Ps. they have a search engine where they can search (title, words, etc) ;) .
    Wasn't sure if you knew about that or not :confused:

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

thanks dawn. I'll check it out, but I think the only think I need to learn now is by trail and error, and hopeful not to much error.

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Hey, you never know until you try!
    And some people are just plain more lucky with breeding certain species than others.

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

im not scottish but i am irish [sarcasm]

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Great! We have a freakin leprechaun. *pokes for pot of gold to split with the other Scott*
    Ps. What types/colors are you planning on breeding?

7. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

sweet I Know I'm Irish, but I may also be Scottish and Walsh.

I hope bettas work because other then guppies I really don't have room for breeding any other fish. right now with the guppies I'm just taking spawns when I get them.

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

i hear ya i hope it works out for you good luck! if you have ANY question what so ever dont hesitate to ask ;)

Scott

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

wow! Two leprechauns...is this my lucky day or what?!?
    <is mentally planning on how she will spend the money>
    I'll take a unlimited gallon house wrap around tank!

10. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

:) its in the rule book we dont share our GOLD.. i would have thought about it but i got beat up by you and steven :) writer dont take dawn to the other side of the rainbow :)

11. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Wait what money, Dad What did you do with all our gold.

DAD "Nothing!!!!" eating a nice lobster in the bathroom.

JK.

I hope it works to, what I was think was have the spawning tanks up and running with a oto or snail in there and do the water changes and add the water from the spawning tanks to the holders. Then just replace spawning tank water and that would help keep the water the same in all tanks right?

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

ignore him writer..I am a very nice person (i just like to pop beck with jellybean loaded mallows every now and then).

Ps. Sounds good about the transferring of water...just make sure to keep up with the partials on all of them!
    The last thing you want is stagnant cesspool water in ANY of them.

13. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

That why you have a care bare with a AK-47!!!!!!!!

14. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I was thing of a weak and small home made filter the would break the water a little, but once I move them to the spawning tank I find a way to stop the surface breaking or reduce it to were it doesn't damage the bubble nest.

15. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

get a small whisper filter..I can't remember the exact make/model..but the ones at walmart that are for the 2-5g tanks.
    You can also use some tall plants to break the water flow!

My ak-47 is actually a marshmallow shooter in disguise.

16. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I was thinking some thing like this

I think this would work for a betta, or at lest until I can get one of those 2-10 gallon filters. If their is a 2-5 gallon filter my wal-mart doesn't carry it, i was just there today for My pot for my 20 gallon.

17. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

This is a small zeolite filter I've used in tiny, temporary tanks. Right now I'm using it in a 2 gallon tadpole tank, stocked with a few tiny tads. I wanted some type of filtration, but didn't have the time or energy to go through the cycling process before introducing the tads. I figured I would just use zeolite, since for the short term that seemed easiest to me. Since it was such a tiny tank, I was also looking for something cheap -i.e. DIY.

1. Find a small plastic container such as a film canister, prescription container, empty fish-food container, or any other small plastic container that isn't contaminated with detergents or other harmful substances (i.e. no shampoo bottles). Rinse well with tap water. (Film canisters may contain trace heavy metals, so add some tap water conditioner in the rinse, one that says "detoxifies heavy metals".)

2. Find about 3 to 6 inches of 1/2-inch tubing. This could be from the pet store or polyethylene tubing from the hardware store. Cut a notch the bottom end (see figure), or cut it at an angle. This ensures good water flow.

3. Cut a hole slightly smaller than 1/2 inch in the lid so that the 1/2-inch tubing makes a snug fit. Put the lid on the container and push the 1/2-inch tube all the way down to the bottom of the container. With a heated nail or a drill, make a bunch of small holes in the remaining area of the lid.

4. With a heated screwdriver or a drill, make a hole in the side of the 1/2-inch tubing for the airline tubing to fit. Again, the hole should be slightly undersized for a tight fit. It would probably help to make the hole at an angle, since the airline will be coming in at an angle. Also, when making the hole, it is good to leave yourself some room (1/2 inch) between the top of the lid and the bottom of the hole. This will make the canister easier to fill with media later on.

5. Press the airline tubing into the new hole, and push it about halfway down into the canister. You don't want air bubbles to find themselves going back through the media the wrong way.

6. Now, unsnap the lid and swivel it out of the way, as you keep the 1/2-inch tubing all the way down to the bottom. Fill the rest of the container with zeolite or the media of your choice. You should be able to get a few tablespoons of media into a film canister. Carefully snap the lid back on and hook the airline tubing to a small air pump.

The whole thing costs practically nothing beyond the media and the air pump. If you have a few tanks you probably already have all the materials laying around.
    diy tiny filter.gif

18. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

19. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

O well my wal-mart does not carry that product, trust me I was looking for food containers that were all plastic that might work for the filter and i was comparing my tank set up idea with there tank kits.

would that kind of filter work with bettas?

20. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

yup..either one of them would..just hook them to an airpump and you can adjust the bubbling effect with a gang valve/flow valve.

Here's a though..instead of a camera case you could use a small tupperware container that has a lid (tiny lock and lock container comes to mind since it's airtight). I know in both Target and Walmart I have seen round ones that remind me of a urine analysis cup. Hey, if you know a nurse a unused one of those would be the perfect size. Lol!