1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

converting 10gal tropical tank to salt water???

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish Forum' started by Anonymous, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

i have 10 gal tropical set up and running. i just got rid of my 75 gal trop. tank. tired of taking care of it because of the size. ne who. . . i want to start my first saltwater tank . and i know i wont be able to have but like 2 fish in thier but thats fine. i have a hanging filter and a heater and i want to make a fish and live rock set up i think. since i have a filter (and i might get another one to make it even better). do i really need 1lb of live rock per gal of water since ill have some bio. filtration because of my filter ne ways? id like to have more room for the fish than decor and rock because of the size! and if so is thier a minimal amount i should have? and do i have to have live sand or do u think the crushed coral will be best? and when i set this all up do i empty my existing trop tank water and just add intant ocean salt to it live rock and my crushed coral or w/e ill use. or just empty the water best i can get rid of my existing sand and rinse it out and put most of the existing water back and add some new de-chlorinated water to it and then add intant ocean or do i have to buy like ocean water from the pet store. i have a feeling thier trying to rip me off trying to get me to buy live sand and tons of live rock and and water?? please help asap????????

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

My first suggestion would be to not try your first saltwater tank with a 10 gallon tank. Smaller tanks are much harder to keep stable and you're more likely to lose anything you place in the tank.

If you want to risk it I would recommend 2lbs of live rock per gallon of water. Live rock provides extra filtration and many many beneficial type of algae and organisms that are vital to reef tanks. Live rock is not necessary but highly recommended.

You'll want to completely empty the tank and clean if while it's empty. Live sand would be best but you can use crushed coral. After you have the tank clean you can add the substrate, water and salt. You can use dechlorinated tap water and your choice of synthetic salt or use premixed saltwater. You must have a hydrometer and master test kit.

3. lostanime

lostanime New Member

100% agree with Anthony's advice above... I personally know 10 people who have tried to keep saltwater tanks with fish under 20 gallons, but don't know anyone who's done so without everything dying within a year. Some of these people had substantial experience running saltwater tanks.

If your bent on going the nano route, it wont cost much more in maintenance for a 29-40 gallon setup, and although that's still small and could crash quickly from errors/failures, it'll be MUCH more stable then a 10gal and large enough to use appropriate filtration (i.e. skimmers)... will save you alot of money and heartache in the long run by not having to frequently replace fish.

4. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

i personally think salt water is more work then freshwater but that's me

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I'd recommend starting a salt with a 55g. First because larger volume is easier to work with...2nd because it will probably be more reasonable than say a 30g...and next because once you have the stand it will be easy to upgrade the tank if you want since a 90g and 110g tall will fit on the same stand.

You can always go the used route and check ebay, thrift store, and aquabid for equipment --or-- do as I did when I had a salt and buy a bit at a time making it less of a strain on your pocket book!

Just my thoughts :)

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

My first saltwater tank was a 10 gallon.
    i ran the water, salt, and substrate for a couple of days and then added biospira and live rock, let that run for a week, then added a few hermit crabs. after a week they were all alive. my water tested fine in high range ph, nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia. i then added my first fish, a blue green chromis. he is still alive a year later with a gold stripe maroon clown fish, a cleaner shrimp, and an emerald crab. i do weekly 10% water changes and check my water regularly.
    i love my little tank and have never had anything die on me other than two snails.
    i have since upgraded to a 20L, but the 10 helped me learn how to do everything really well, because if anything is slightly off you are in trouble.
    check your salinity regularly, check your water, and do water changes. acclimate slowly (of course) and it is possible.