1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Convict Breeding (Information & Advice Wanted)

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by stevenrox, Nov 11, 2008.

1. stevenrox

stevenrox Thread Starter New Member

Re: convicts

its werid i have small gravel in the tank and the eggs hatched yesterday i was watching them but they kept falling off the marble and the mom kept catching them and tring to spit them back on but i saw a few of them get lost into the rocks(i closed filter) then today all the eggs were hatched and the dad is like blocking off the mom to but i dont see no frys is this normal or a failed hatch?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

normal they wont be free swimming for a little while keep an eye on them.

3. stevenrox

they werent free swiming the fries just fell off and i never seen any since

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

the fries fell off? and if you havent seen them since they are prolly dead

5. stevenrox

yea but im wondering why they fell off?

6. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

They move (the wigglers) and shake the egg loose. They will fall off and if you keep gravel will fall into it. You may have a few that live down in and figure out how to get out... .but you will be taking heavy casualties. Get rid of the gravel if you want to breed and run bare bottom so when they fall off they do not fall into the abyss. (or move the breeding pair to a bare bottom tank).

Another thing that you can do for the future is buy a breeding cone. IF the fish decide to breed on it, breeding cones have a little lip on the bottom to catch falling eggs. If you went that route and the convicts did breed on it you can leave the cone in the tank they are in now with the gravel and the babies will be fine.

7. stevenrox

o because i saw them hatch and start moving but they fell off and the mom kept spiting them back on then the next day the dad chased the mom out

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

they will all be albino i have breed some before and theyy will be black only if u have a black 1 and a white 1