1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Convict Cichlid for 20g? (Advice & Compatibility)

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Anonymous, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Hello again,(more questions) I Just got a 20 gallon tank(no fish yet) and was talking with someone and they had a few Convict Cichlid's for sale and said they would do ok in my 20gallon. Just wondering if you guys/gals think they would be ok in a 20 gallon and if so, how many and what other fish(if any) can survive with them.
    :D

2. SyncereOne

SyncereOne New Member

Re: Convict Cichlid

In a 20G, I would do one.....2 would be pushing it. If you did do 2, make sure they are of the same sex...if not, you will be overrun with fry in a very short period of time.

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

You could do a breeding pair of convicts in a 20 gallon. I wouldnt put anything else in there with them. Like syncere said, you will be overrun with fry, but you could give them away or use them as feeders for larger tanks.

4. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

2 seems like a bit much to me. Maybe for a 20 long but a 20 high I'm not so sure

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

i was talking to him and said they are fry(about 1 month old) so i was wonderng if a few would work for a while(depending on growth rate) untill i could get another tank or give some away.

6. SyncereOne

SyncereOne New Member

It will work....for a short while...cons grow pretty fast IMO, and reach breeding maturity at a young age. I say go ahead and do it, and give the fry away on craigslist or something, or feed them to bigger fish.

7. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

20L with a breeding pair will be fine, a 20H with a breeding pair would be fine for a while.

8. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

I agree. I have had many convicts in the past and a twenty long will be plenty of room for 2 convicts. You wont be able to put many other fish in there. The Convicts can be aggressive and in my experience only do well with other South American Cichlids which tend to get very large and will outgrow a twenty gallon tank. I've never bred them before. That could be pretty cool...

9. Cichlids_4_Life

Cichlids_4_Life New Member

Yeah, a 20g would do perfectly. Other tank mates would have to be small tetras.