1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Convict incubation period?

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Anonymous, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Im not even sure that you can it incubation with fish, but whatever lol, I am wondering how long it takes convicts eggs to hatch, I think mine have laid their fish batch under a piece of slate and I am wanting to add this huge piece of driftwood that I got today (its like 2' long and 8" wide) but I dont want to take the chance of disturbing their babes. I am not even sure they laid eggs, but about three or four days ago (maybe less I am horrible at estimating time) they became super territorial over this one spot and are hiding almost constantly back there so I am assuming they got a little love nest haha.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Re: Convict incubation length

It's been so long since I've had convicts so off the top of my head, depending on water temp I think it's about 28 days.

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

jesus h christ, in that case if I do some house cleaning what is more than likely going to happen? Lets say best case scenario the eggs arent on the slate and on the back wall of the tank and worst case is that they are on the slate and it gets moved. Could they find them and resume their duty or will any disturbances basically ruin the gestation period (as I suspect)? And you can tell me what you would do lol.

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Well, they're protecting that one area which means one of two things.
    1) The female already laid the eggs in which case you should wait before moving anything around. Doing this can cause them to eat the eggs if they get too stressed.
    2) The female is preparing to lay eggs.

From what I remember the eggs aren't stuck to anything, they just lay there. At least that's what my convicts did when I had them with a sand substrate.

I would watch them closely and see if they continue to stay close to that area. Try taking a flashlight to see if you see any eggs. If there are eggs, I wouldn't do anything. Even if there aren't, I'd be pretty sure she's getting ready to lay some and wait a bit.

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I saw Crazhrse convict's eggs and they were vertically stuck to the glass, so Im guessing theres some sort of adhesive lol. And Ive tried to spot the eggs, but they are in the back of my 125 in the very middle of the tank, and behind a large lava rock that is full of holes and indentions so it is basically impossible to see anything :(

6. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

It really takes the eggs 28 days to hatch?

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Apparently it's about 3. I was way off.

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

hahahahahaha, I was like damn and i thought people said these things were baby making machines. I think your thinking that they lay eggs every 28 days

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yeah, that could be it. :)

10. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

i had convicts that used to breed every couple of weeks, it takes 4 days to hatch.

11. crazhrse

crazhrse New Member

BELEIVE ME OR NOT IT IS 3-4 DAY'S AFTER THEY ARE LAYED , I'M NOT SURE ABOUT MANY THINGS BUT FOR SOME REASON I FEEL GOOD WITH THIS ANSWER oh sorry for caps and you can take the eggs and put them in a small glass or jar or whatever with a airstone and they will hatch the same and when they hatch wait 2 days and start feeding first bites

12. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks buddy, I was waiting for your expert opinion on this matter, haha. What is the best way to remove the eggs?

13. crazhrse

crazhrse New Member

ok i'm sure someone will say " you can't do that" but i have done it,use a small hose and while it is sucking just suck them out ir either use some kind of dropper and suck them up but it's best to let nature run it's course and remove the fry afterwords

14. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Im sure that will be fun! I cna see me now trying to suck lil babies out.

15. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

i used to use a turkey baster to pick up the fry, i used to let the parents do there job first.....and if you have a dedicated tank to the cons i would just leave them in there....mom and dad cons are great parents anyway.

16. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Ive got about 200 convict fry swimming around in the tank now!

17. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

nice!!!!

18. crazhrse

crazhrse New Member

thats cool nelson mine hatched today also

19. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

i currently have convitcs, but ne ways.i think its quite possible that they have already hatched but are staying extremely close to the nest site as they are still small and the parents will pick them up in their mouths to keep them close. so you may already have fry but not even know it. :)

20. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

had the fry, they last three days hahaha the green terrors, or severum ate them, or maybe it was the catfish