1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Convicts: Pairing Question

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Anonymous, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I bought three convicts (2" tops) from a sale at petco a week ago, I tried to get two females and a male at the store. I think I acheived this goal and I think that two have paired, the one that I think is the female has a really orange stomach and orange on the dorsal fin, the one I think is the male has no orange and a little blue on the very tip of the fin. Both are showng full color. The things I am wondering are whether or not I should remove the oddball who looks stressed (colors are weak), and also, if this is long enough for two convicts to pair?

2. crazhrse

crazhrse New Member

Re: Convicts

everything you said is correct , the female will have a little orange and the male will not and as far as removing the oddball, what size tank are they in ? if it's small then you need to take him out , i wish i new you wanted a pair of convicts , i would have hooked you up on a pair

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

It was totally impulse they were marked down to 2.00 a pop, I actually thought about that right after I bought them. They are in the 125 I figured they'd gimme some free food.

4. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

they will definitely start to spawn SOON if they are mature. Also, when this happens they will most likely start getting extremely aggressive if your cons are full size. i had a 6 inch GT in my 50 gal tank and i added two cons one day, male and female. the next day, my cons were really hurt, but my GT WAS DEAD! In one day man. so observe your fish as much as you can and use discretion when deciding if your going to remove any fish. Goodluck ;)

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

like i said the convicts are 2" tops, and the green terrors are 6" at least, also they prolly faught like that cause they were in a 50 gallon tank not nearly enough room for those fish.