1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

copepods?

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by MasterBlue, Apr 15, 2010.

1. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Thread Starter Active Member

I noticed some odd little critters in my tank the other day... They are small dots, seem to like to crawl on the glass, and seem to be living in the duck weed... I've been keeping an eye on them in the 40 gallon tank, they are living in/ around the floating breeder box with my scuds. (shallow water)

They were there prior to the scuds, but since the duck weed has grown alot since then, they have become very noticeable.

I bring this up because I migrated some scuds to the bb endler tank and some of them came along for the ride. My Male's seem to want to eat them, but spit them out every time they try to. Other than sitting on the glass at the top of the tank, they aren't really doing anything.

I'm thinking copepods, but I want your more experienced opinions.

What say ye'?

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

3. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

That's what they sound like to me.

4. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

awesome fry food thats for sure. If a tank doesnt have them, the tank isnt healthy.

5. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Thread Starter Active Member

Well, Lets hope that aren't mites or anything.

6. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

mites? doubtful unless a fish came in with them or the canned flake food.

can you get a mag glass and see them up close, copo's are brown with distinct markings kinda like a cell structure, its pretty neat and they swim different then most organisms in the aquarium.