1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Crayola Play Sand Aquarium Safe?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by MOD_Dawn, Apr 11, 2012.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Thread Starter Active Member

I saw various colors of Crayola Brand Play Sand at Wal-mart for just under $7 for a 20lb bag and was wondering if anyone has tried this in an aquarium? The bag states nothing on it (was checking to see if anything was added to it to prevent mildew- which is a big no no for the aquarium by the way if it does have an anti-mildew agent by the way). I soo wanted to try the pink, but they also had a neon green, a nice aqua like blue, and a easter like purple but was afraid it would either
    a) not sink and clump together on top of the water
    b) end up "staining" the aquarium walls the color of the sand
    c) not be heavy enough to stay put and end up in

On a sidenote, I ended up running to a few lfs (petco, petsmart, elmers aquarium) and the cheapest susbstrate I came across was a pea gravel that came in a 20lb bag for $15.00 which I thought was crazy being I'd need several bags. Lucky for me I remembered seeing pea gravel at wal-marts lawn and garden section for $3.57 a bag (looked like a 50lb to me, but didn't state on it). I ended up grabbing 2 bags ... rinsing the heck out of it...and using 1 & 1/4 bags for my 90g. Even with the rinsing I still got cloudy water...so in went the Bio-Clear Fast stuff and it's already looking better. Plan on doing another 50% partial tomorrow and redosing with the water clarifier again and hopefully I'll be good to go.

2. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

from what i've read about this, it is safe for aquariums/fish. i tried to pm you some info but it would'nt let me send it.

3. MOD_Dawn

Thanks buzz, I know alot of things aren't working properly (figuring it's because of transferring the forum to another format/thingy). I couldn't post the other day.

4. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

I've heard quite a few people using it now but just recently so long term is not known.

5. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Active Member

I personally wouldn't trust it...

6. MOD_Dawn

Thanks buzz!
    from the link you gave me it's perfectly safe and it appears numerous people have used it.
    I kinda figured it's the same as pool filter sand, but wanted to make sure about the lead free and such since it's colored.
    Now I'm kicking myself for not getting it and using the pea gravel. Oh well, next time for sure. haha!

7. MOD_Dawn

http://www.coloredsandstore.com/general-faq/

8. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Active Member

Interesting..... I MUST HAVE BLUE SAND!!!! >=D

9. buzz4520

your welcome dawn. my wife likes the looks of the pink and purple sand.....not me !

10. MOD_Dawn

tell her great minds think alike then, because I was looking into the pink to use with the pink background on my tank :)

11. buzz4520

she would like to do a tank with the pink or purple sand with a black background.

12. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Active Member

-.-; Courtney agrees with your wife buzz XD

13. buzz4520

here's a link from the company that makes the sand for crayola.
    http://www.n2mgroup.com/general-faq/
    i think the purple would look better than the pink. the blue would be even better i it were darker.

14. MOD_Dawn

noo, do pink so I know ahead of time if I'd wanna try it. Haha!
    I Had the same idea with the black background and if you'd so kindly post pictures that would be awesome!

15. buzz4520

yeah yeah, wifey wants to do pink also (her favorite color)....have to get a heater or two for the 150g yet, then we might see about redoing the 10g and try the crayola sand. it'll be the first time that we'll have sand in an aquarium, always done gravel.

16. MOD_Dawn

from what I've read about it you just have to rinse it really well or else it will clump with some floating to the top.
    I've used sand for quite awhile and find that I like it better (and so do the fish).
    A) It's easier to siphon clean being no debris goes between it (like what occurs with gravel)
    B) It provides a more natural bottom that most (if not all) aquatic species seem to prefer. My discus LOVED blowing in the sand to look for excess goodies...and the corys/loaches were more active when I had a sand substrate in comparison to gravel.

17. buzz4520

i did some checking around and wal-mart has the crayola play sand for $6.48 a bag. a bag measures 3" x 12" x 18" (didn't give the weight) and that's more than enough to do a 10g tank.
    our corys and african dwarf frogs would probably love to have some sand.

18. MOD_Dawn

yep, that's what it runs here and there's basically no information at all on their bags...that's why I didn't grab it BEFORE buying the pea gravel.

19. buzz4520

we went out and got a bag of the pink sand....wife and boys talked me into it.

20. buzz4520