1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Curious about Cichlids

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by MasterBlue, Mar 27, 2010.

1. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Thread Starter Active Member

I was thinking about getting into some Cichlids, as a guy that come in the store often tells me all these good things about them. (I work at Dollar General btw)

He's really big into them, He's shown me images from his house, he has more tanks than I think would be healthy, just a stone throw over a hundred all-together. Biggest is a BEAUTIFUL 1,000 gallon salt water tank. But any who...

He suggested to me I should look into getting a few and seeing if I like them. He says there are easy to keep and breed. I personally rather live bearing fish, Guppies and the like. But tonight while at wallmart, there was an amazing fish that caught my eye. I decided to ask you guys, and since this is right place to ask, here I am; asking.
    What are the pros and cons of these group of fish?

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Most cichlids are not community fish. They can only be kept with other cichlids of the same size or type. Some are easier to keep then others. Cichlids are actually a very large group of fish. Anything from Angels, to Convicts, to Apistogrammas and many many more.

3. MasterBlue

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

If you figure out what size tank you would do we can try and narrow the list down a bit. There are many cichlids that get 10+ inches long and need tanks of 100+ gallons.

5. MasterBlue

hahaha! then I'll just have to avoid them for now. I hardly have enough room for my bed as it is now!

6. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

you can have a few pairs of rams in a 15g, 20g tall is no bigger then a 15g footprint.24"x12" is all you need for a 15g/20H

you can do some kribs,rams,and maybe some smaller africans which are the easiest fish to take care of IMO. each seperated for ethics reasons.

see what kind he has, if he has rams, can you get me his info?

7. MasterBlue

I'll talk to him and see.

8. WhiteGloveAquatics

I figure why not get fish from there, I get my cypress driftwood from your bayous so why not.

9. MasterBlue

Isn't Louisiana an amazing thing for collecting aquarium stuff? I actually found a blue Crayfish not too long ago... Not sure what to do with him now tho o.o; He'll eat everything!!!

10. WhiteGloveAquatics

the natural scape of louisiana is optimal for blackwater and since going to the amazon is a bit out of my reach....I go down south and observe and collect. Upper michigan is nice too, oak driftwood everywhere!!!!! I do enjoy this cypress under water though, so much detail to the wood that you cant see in the open air when its dry.

11. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

I haven't gotten into collecting me own live animals yet. but htere is a small creek 1/2 block from my house calling me. I have seen a quite large snapping turtle (11-12") in there last year just walking by. It,s about 15' across shallow and in spots very rocky with a medium current with little pools of still water. HHMMMMM Local species? Do I attempt?!

12. WhiteGloveAquatics

Go for it, you never know what you are going to find, even if you dont collect them you might find something odd or very rare.

I take a pond net with me when I go hiking in my pack and there is one creek that runs uphill (not really but thats the way I walk) and I found channel cats in this creek in a small pool huddled together over a mile and a half away from the river, its a spring fed creek so there is no where for them to come from up top. found plenty of minnows, even found an orange one once.