1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

cut near mouth, twitches, on side, HELP!! PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases & Cures' started by Likadore887, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Likadore887

Likadore887 Thread Starter New Member

My 6 year old gold fish

2. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Need more info...

Water parameters:
    Nitrates
    Nitrites
    Ammonia
    KH
    GH
    PH
    Water Temp
    Tank Size
    Size of fish
    Frequency of Water Changes

and a photo my be very helpful

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

how long the tanks been up and running?
    Do you dose with anything..if so WHAT?
    and agree with Lemon ...we need MORE to go on.

4. Likadore887

Likadore887 Thread Starter New Member

Sorry for incomplete post.
    Tank had been running for months .... filtered, aerated, only 2 goldfish, about 6 yrs. old each ... one got sick, close to death, I removed her and into a smaller filtered bowl she's doing OK, although went 90% to white.

Then, 2 months later, second fish in original tank is close to death. I do the same and she stabilized and ate, but now is having some kind of strong, near lethal process ... mouth is stuck way open all the time in a round shape, has diffiiculy staying upright, except when she periodically and frantically darts about, as if trying to shake out of something ...

Do you recognize this as symptom of anything? Thanks!

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:34 pm
    I'm providing more detail now to add to my daughter's incomplete post yesterday, sorry:

A 10 gallon Tank had been running for months .... filtered, aerated, only 2 goldfish, about 6 yrs. old each ... one got sick, close to death, I removed her and into a smaller filtered bowl she's doing OK, although went 90% to white.

Then, 2 months later, second fish in original tank is close to death. I do the same and she stabilized and ate, but now is having some kind of strong, near lethal process ... mouth is stuck way open all the time in a round shape, has diffiiculy staying upright, except when she periodically and frantically darts about, as if trying to shake out of something ... , sometimes gulps air from surface.

Do you recognize this as symptom of anything?

We did previously observe that she had a large (1/2") blister or tumor on the rear of her flank just in front of the tail when her partner got sick. This protuberance not so visible bcs. its exactly same color as rest of fish. Thanks!

5. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:50 pm
    Need as much info about the aquarium as possible
    pH?
    Ammonia Level?
    Nitrite Level?
    Nitrate Level?
    Water Temperature?
    Tank Size? 10 gallon
    How Often You Do Water Changes And What Percent You Change?
    How Long Has The Tank Been Running? 6 months
    If you can get a picture it would be a great help also.

Rick

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

First, what type of goldfish are these (2 in a 10g is pushing it for most..if not all varieties).

Next, I think the issue might lay within the water...are you doing partials regulary (if so, how much and how often)...also are you adding a dechlorinator BEFORE adding fresh water back into their tank/tanks?

I really need to know the water readings as cooltow1 asked (pH--does it swing or is it steady, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Water Temperature--does it stay steady..if not what does it vary from low to high?)

Any other inhabitants in there?

Darting and sore typically makes me think ammonia issue...but without readings we can only guess.