1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

cyanobacteria- lesson learned

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by LemonDiscus, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

like putting your lights on timers that are set up to turn off for about a half hour to an hour at noon or whenever halfway through the day is for you.

2. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Thread Starter Active Member

See, I think that would hurt the fish, confuse them and set their circadian pattern off, possible shortening their lives.

3. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I knew the timer part. :p I just didn't know if you meant to only use "dusk/dawn" lighting in the middle of the day and not the full set of lights for 30 minutes or a complete, shall we call it, blackout.

4. LemonDiscus

I dont care if my "power lights" or all of my lights are on when I am home, actually I kind of like the dimmer tank.... so they can be off. I am reading no lights for a half hour oro so in the middle of the day

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

yeah a "blackout" hahaha

6. LemonDiscus

Well, I experimented for about 2 weeks now and there is marked improvement but both algaes are still there.

Planning this weekend to do a major break-down and cleaning. Again I will be removing all of my plants.

Flourish kills algae?!?! If so I think I will hit my plants in one bucket with that if it will work. My driftwood will get thoroughly cleaned as well. I tried it before but the beard algae did not go away as I did not have a brush that would get it off. I am getting one this weekend.

So I will be making a run to the pet store/hardware store to get the following list as I am about fed up with cleaning this crap off:
    New mechanical filter media - I am changing my filters this weekend
    Peat Moss - So my Proper PH 6.5 has high levels of Phosphates, I just learned that could be an aggravating factor in my algae growth and I plant to quit using it. The peat moss will go in my Magnum 350 and my Emperor 400.
    Pond Prime - No reason to explain here, too many tanks and I used to use this on my ponds before and also my fish tanks. Great stuff!
    New Lights - So I am getting rid of my 5000 lights and my Full Spectrum bulbs as I bet I am still to red/yellow in color. I will be getting 4 more 6700 or maybe 2 more 6700 with 2 10000 if I can find the 10K's cheap enough
    Potato Brush - This will be to scrub the heck out of my driftwood
    New Algae Sponge - that blue one for glass to scrape algae off.
    Pantyhose - No, not for me to wear :roll: but to put the peat moss in. I will experiment with the peat moss to see if I can get my PH to set without the use of chemicals. My hope is it will cut down my cost of chemicals and I wont need to add blackwater extract or a PH buffer ever.
    New timer - One of my 2 timers went out. It turns the tank on but not off.... not algae related but still a pain I want to fix :roll:

I will see in another few weeks once I do this how it goes. Maybe I might be able to move the tank too as I am going to drain it down to about 80% empty. I have been thinking about it in another location where it wont interfere with my couch and TV like it is now!