1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

dechlorinator that has stress coat in it?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Leslie, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Leslie

Leslie Thread Starter New Member

chemicals

Can I use a different type of chemical instead of the aqua stuff I have already put in the tank??

2. eeyipes

eeyipes New Member

Do you mean the dechlorinator?

3. Leslie

it does that and puts the stress coat too.

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yes you can use a different brand. Just make sure it removes everything I listed in your other post. ;)

5. eeyipes

eeyipes New Member

I don't know of any household substitutes you could use. I think any aquarium dechlorinator is fine, you don't necessarily need the additional stress coat as along as your fish are healthy.

6. Leslie

ok. well my house is magic and can eat stuff you really want. so now i have to run all the way to walmart to get some other stuff. i am changing like half the water. i still dont have the test kit so i figured id change half the water and now the frog looks bad.

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You changed half the water and didn't treat it with your aqua safe ?

8. Leslie

no no. i have to go buy some before i change it. if i put just regular water in it i know it will harm the fish. so this is a quick run to grab it so maybe the frog will act beter.

9. eeyipes

eeyipes New Member

Got a neighbor with fishys? Wish I could loan you some across the internet :(

10. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Oh okay. You have to be right on top of your water parameters with the frog in there. They're very sensitive to any changes.

11. Leslie

i know. i may change like 3 gals out of it. he looks unhappy. and i dont want to loose him. so now i have to make this very fast run to walmart. now i am hoping to my luck there is some stuff there. everything goes agianst me.

12. eeyipes

eeyipes New Member

I've wondered about that, that's why I've never gotten any. I like things that are hard to kill lol.

13. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Leslie, what type of filter do you have on the tank ?

If you can go to Wal-Mart now and I'll continue with questions when you return.

14. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

LoL

15. Leslie

ok anthony can you list the stuff i need to make sure the chemical takes care of?? i am putting on clothes so i can run out the door. so please list them so i can make sure.

16. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

It has to remove chlorine, chloramine, ammonia and something that will detoxify nitrite and nitrate.

17. eeyipes

eeyipes New Member

Plus if you don't have test kits yet, at least look and see if they have the ammonia "Quick Dip" test strips - ammonia levels will rise in a new tank before the nitrites and 'trates. Beware things like "ammo block" to remove ammonia as they can affect PH levels. Water changes are enough to dilute ammonia levels. Cycling is a blast, ain't it? 6-8 weeks of constant worry, water changes and fuss.

18. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yeah, that is correct.

You really do need some type of test kit. If you can find the liquid kit, test strips will do for the time being. Make sure to check the date on the test strips. Don't get them if they're over a year old.

19. eeyipes

eeyipes New Member

My wally world doesn't have the liquid kits. If she's in the boonies like me, than the strips may be the best she can find.

20. Leslie

ok. i am back and the had hardly anything. not test strips nothing. they had like 3 bottles on the whole shelf. here is what i got. tel me is it will work. i got the aquasafe stuff like i had. and then i got easybalance stuff it said on the bottle keeps aquarium water biologically balanced for up to 6 months, stabilizes ph and alkalinity levels vital for fish and plants, and reduces nitrates and phospate. then it says big in red on the bottle with nitraban. so tell me what to do.