1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

dechlorinator that has stress coat in it?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Leslie, Aug 10, 2008.

1. eeyipes

eeyipes New Member

I'd hold off on the nitraban for now, and just do a water change. What does your froggy eat?

2. Leslie

Leslie Thread Starter New Member

i just changed 2 gallons out. and the frog eats fish flakes. i bought him speacial food and he doesnt eat it.

3. eeyipes

eeyipes New Member

What kind of frog is he?

4. Leslie

a african clawed frog. i think.

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I've never heard of Tetra EasyBalance. Just keep up the water changes and keep treating with the aqua safe. I'm not sure if the Tetra EasyBalance is safe for cycling tanks.

6. eeyipes

eeyipes New Member

7. crazedpuffer

crazedpuffer New Member

All you should use is the Aqua Safe (the dechlorinator)
    Don't bother with the Easy Balance stuff. It sounds like complete garbage to me. It sounds like it's saying that you can ue that and not do water changes for 6 months. PH and Alkalinity would already be balanced anyways except if PH altering stuff is added (which is really unnecessary and often does more harm than good) Definitely not something I'd use at all.

8. eeyipes

eeyipes New Member

I had bought some nitraban because I thought it sounded good, but never used it. Passed it off to someone else instead. If your froggy is sensitive to water conditions, you may not want to add any extra chemicals to the tank. Hold on to the receipt for it, you may want to return it. Basically the less chemical gunk you add, the better.

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

That's exactly what I thought as well.

10. Leslie

ok. well i didnt use any. i didnt want to leave there and then be told oh you could use this. it was more safe than sorry type deal. i will take it back to walmart when i go. i didnt even know what it was.

11. eeyipes

eeyipes New Member

It's hard to know what's good, and what's quack medicine. Hey, that's what this forum is for :D Hope froggy is doing better!

12. Leslie

i did most of the stuff it said to do. i put it right beside it and yet it still wants to swim to the top. maybe i should try the little plate thing.

13. eeyipes

eeyipes New Member

I've never had frogs, but I've heard of the plate feeding thing several times. They also suggest chopped up earthworms if you can dig some up from the garden. Some fresh live food might perk up his appetite.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Try starving the fish for a few days and then feeding the frog only and see if he will accept the specialty food. Also, hes probably use to eating flake food at this point in his life as thats probably what they fed him at petco.

15. Leslie

i cant dig in the dirt. i will go and move some rocks if i can.

also will changing 2 gals of water help with the ammonia?

16. eeyipes

eeyipes New Member

In a 5 gallon tank, right? Then you've diluted any ammonia by about 40%. I do a one bucket change in my 5 gallon - that's about 2 gallons. How old are the kids? Make them dig in the dirt ;) Then have dad to the chopping :)

17. Leslie

youngest is 1 and she just eats the sticks in the dirt the other is 2 and if she gets dirty then the world is coming to a end for her. and dad is no where around except when he thinks that not giving me any money to help buy kids stuff still gets him visitation.

should i do 2 and 1/2 gal change a week?

18. eeyipes

eeyipes New Member

For a new tank that small, I'd do it every other day just to be safe, at least until you can find a test kit to help guide you. Smaller tank means faster pollution, and platys can be a little bit messy. Be careful not to overfeed. Hopefully it will cycle quickly. I've got 2 boys 7 and 10, and I don't think either one of them would touch a worm to save their Gameboys.

19. crazedpuffer

crazedpuffer New Member

I reccomend doing 50% water changes every day until the tank is cycled. This won't disturb the cycling process in any way so don't worry.

20. Leslie

well my 1 year old will try to eat it. she tried to catch a grasshopper to eat it. also she ran after a big beatle like the size of a dollar and almost got it. she will eat anything.