1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

dechlorinator that has stress coat in it?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Leslie, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Leslie

Leslie Thread Starter New Member

will the aquasafe do the same as the prime??

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I'm not sure if the aqua safe has slime coat in it or if it helps promote slime coat. Slime coat if added to your tanks over time can build up and cause problems. Seachem Prime promotes slime coat, it doesn't actually put slime coat in the water.

3. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

ok i have to ask just how do you change the water in your tank?
    since it is a 5 gal tank and you have kids i would suggest saving the gallon milk container.
    clean them out real good put the tap water in add the Decol and let it sit.
    Chlorine disapates in roughly a hour anyway plus water will be room temp which is roughly around 74 degrees.
    This way when you take out 2 gallons of water you already have 2 gallons treated to put back in plus if you ever needed to do a fast problem solving W/C you already have the water made up.
    Or.... you can get a 250 gallon storage tank with a 6 stage RO unit and go to the extreme

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Not treating city water is a bad idea IMO, especially with chloramines. I'm not sure if that still allows the chlorine to dissipate like it normally would.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

The containers would have to be open air otherwise the Cl will stic around forever.

6. Leslie

the aquasafe does promote the slime coat. just doesnt do anything to the ammonia. i am going tomarrow to get the test kit. is there anything else i will need to get while i am there??

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Oh okay. You need a product that will detoxify ammonia, not remove it.

The test kit should be the only other thing you'll need.

8. Leslie

ok. so i need to get the prime too?? the aquasafe DOESNT do anything to the ammonia. i called and asked them at petsmart if i could return the bollte that i opened and they said it would be fine. so i need to know. do i get the prime and if so can i see a link to it so i can make sure i am getting the right stuff.

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yes, you NEED to get Seachem Prime ASAP.

[​IMG]
    <a class="postlink" href="http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753920" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=2753920</a>

10. Leslie

ok. i wanted to make sure. i am taking everything else back. i wanted to see a picture because i wanted to make sure of what to get. so the test kit and the prime. i am writing this down. I will finally be down close to there so i can get it. i go to my doctor appt. tomarrow and may as well run and grab it too. I am trying to do this right so my fish and frog will live.

11. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Okay, sounds good.

12. Leslie

ok. this helps me alot. thank you everyone.

13. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You're very welcome.

14. Dox13

Dox13 Member

I hope your fish make it, and you put some chemicals in it when you change half of your water again. Some one needs to give you a list of what you need for your tanks so you can get them all at once and have them in your house when you work with your tanks.

15. Leslie

well i went to petsmart after calling yesterday and asking if they had what i needed. well to my luck they only had the prime. i was so mad. i was just told they had what i neded yesterday. this does not surprise me at all.

16. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Thats really annoying.

17. Leslie

yeah i know. tell me about it. i am fixing to place a oreder online. but i wish i had a free shipping code for petsmart.

18. eeyipes

eeyipes New Member

Petco has Prime, and also has free shipping on $50 with code summer08, or $5 off $25 with code afftxt4. They work, I just got free shipping a couple days ago on a 2x20 gallon stand :D

19. Leslie

I can only do petsmart because i have the giftcard. so i need a code for petsmart

20. Jake

Jake Administrator

how are your fish doing