1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Decorating and Getting my tank ready for Cichlids

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by caronsd, Jul 26, 2008.

1. caronsd

caronsd Thread Starter New Member

Decorating and Getting my tank ready for Cichlids
    I'm in the process of getting my 55 gallon ready for a bunch of new cichilds, mostly convicts. I need to add cover and place to seek shelter. Should I go to Petco and buy a whole bunch of stuff or can I make something out of some of the interesting rocks and dried wood i have laying around outside?

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

It would be a lot cheaper to go to a landscaping place and pick up some slate or lava rock type stuff to use in your tank.

I wouldn't put outside wood in your tank though. If you need/want some driftwood for your tank it's best to buy that from a store.

3. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

for convicts id go to lowes and get 2 - 3 terracotta <sp> pots and break them in half then add a bunch of plants the pots are cheap and once ya clean them real good make good hiding places and you can attach java to them

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yeah, that's a good idea too. I see a lot of people use terracotta pots in cichlid tanks.

5. caronsd

caronsd Thread Starter New Member

Yeah I'm going to go tomorrow and get a few to decorate with, maybe cut a few in half, turn some smaller ones over and drill some holes, make it interesting. Can't find any Java Fern or Java Moss in my LPS though :( terrible selection.