1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Desert Gobies?

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by MasterBlue, Mar 31, 2010.

1. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Thread Starter Active Member

I see an auction for a pair of these fish, and I was wondering if anyone's ever kept them? I'll assume they'd eat my shrimp and such, so I won't likely get them, but I do have some other tanks just sitting outside, I could make room for them if I wanted.

What says ye?

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Desert, not Dragon ? Desert would be Chlamydogobius eremius. I have heard of them but really haven't seen anyone keep them before. If I remember correctly they only live about a year.

3. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

they are an australian native and must have sand for a substrate, they will eat shrimp and have a larger mouth then it appears.

they live 12-18 months max.

4. MasterBlue

tough call... I might still make a tank for them... One under my video games might work, but a lid on it and I should be fine. Drain the water from my 40 gallon tank and set the tank up with that as a seed, then get some nice black sand with a few caves and a couple of plants... If they do well and spawn I can sell a few to my local pet store, he might actually like that idea.

5. WhiteGloveAquatics

you aint gonna seed nothing with old tank water.

use some of the gravel in a nylon bag or even pair of pantyhose and either the filter off the 40g or some/all of its biological to seed the new tank.

6. MasterBlue

Too big =P And my tank is my best bet. See, my home is on well water, and is high in everything. The 40 gallon is a great buffer and the water keeps clear if I re-use the old 40 gallon's water. So, ya do what ya gotta do, right mates?

At any rate, I've found a way to set-up a new tank in my room XD Thanx guy!

7. WhiteGloveAquatics

there is no such thing as too big when it comes to filtration.

8. MasterBlue

No, I mean the filter media is too big for my other filters XD It also needs replacing, but it's an old filter and I've yet to find the media I need to use in the stores. Might just have to upgrade...

Gunna go ahead and call this a closed topic. I've decided not to get them this go around, but may set up an new tank for other reasons... The Blue Crayfish is getting cranky in the floating box I put him in, and the QT tank's fish isn't any different. May just cull him and feed him to the cray...

Ok, sry about the rant!