1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Discus Plague

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases & Cures' started by LemonDiscus, Dec 6, 2008.

1. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Thread Starter Active Member

Re: Ich in my display tank

All these parasites look almost the same!!!!!

Yeah, Chilodonella is one I looked at too! It was another in my list. Actually today it does look more like Chilodonella, yesterday it looked more like Columnaris in those same areas. Hard to explain but you see how I thought Ich, then Velvet now realizing it has to be something else.

See when it was at its worst before treatment the white patches looked like the fungus that attacks bad fish eggs.

I spoke with NoShow today on the phone and described it to him.... He took a stab by my description that it was fungal.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yeah, they are very similar looking. Have you tried adding some PimaFix to the tank to see if that helps at all ?

3. LemonDiscus

Dont have that med in my cabinet! Actually the 125 for 2 treatments of Malachite Green took out a full 4 oz bottle. Gets expensive on these large tanks!! :eek:

Honestly I have some copper, fu-ba-fix (just treated it with this when I got home and I see some white peeling off already [dancing] ) and to be honest with you I am not sure what else.... kinda lost track of all my meds.... I do know I dont have PimaFix though.

Ummm Noshow said to try Maracyn

Edit---- I looked at PimaFix and it seems like Fu Ba Fix is the same thing.... different brand though!

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I've never heard of Fu Ba Fix but it does seem to do the same thing.

If you were to try the Maracyn I'd dose with Maracyn and Maracyn Two. That will treat both gram positive and gram negative bacteria.

5. LemonDiscus

Fu-Ba-Fix - Read it.... same thing as PimaFix.... Somebody else told me to buy the Fu-Ba Fix for its multi-use ability so I have always had it... sometimes it works and sometimes it dont.

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yeah I read that. Is it all natural like PimaFix ?

7. LemonDiscus

Yes it is. Made from plant extracts.

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Probably comes from the same 100 gallon tub and each company pours it into their own little bottle. LoL

9. LemonDiscus

Well, here is an update.... a few of the discus are still stressed. The flashing and darting has subsided substantially. There are a few spots still left but it does not look like an infestation. The one that I marked as the worst off has started eating all foods again and not just the live foods. Also that fish has got a lot of his color back and only sits stressed (dark) a few times a day. In comparison he was dark all day except for feedings (when I gave live food) so I would say there has been a marked improvement!

Still treating daily with the Fu-Ba Fix. Going to do another large waterchange tonight or tomorrow so I feel the worst is over (hopefully as you never quite know with discus)

10. LemonDiscus

As not funny as this sounds..... I think I have been dealing with Discus Plague as it appears ONLY in my Discus NONE of my other fish have got this.

Symptoms of Plague:
    Snot looking white material on the slime coat (my "white spot" I saw) usually on the upper half of the fish.

Fin Rot - I do have this too ONLY on my Discus and have been treating this as well.

Lethargic Fish - They quit eating and this ONE thing USUALLY is the death of a Discus. I have been doing EVERYTHING to make sure this does not set in!

The symptoms match to a tooth! I just hope the recovery of my fish continues as Discus Plague is not a good thing at all!

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

O no! I hope all your fish pull through!

12. LemonDiscus

Me too... I am treating by feeding.... I am feeding 3-4 times a day to make sure they dont have time to loose their appetite and go on a hunger strike as discus dont do well once they go into a hunger strike!

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

fish on a hunger strike, whats next hahaha

14. LemonDiscus

Well, I hope this is the final update on this post.

Came home from work today and ALL Discus have their color back and NO signs of anything white on the slime coat.

The fin rot seems to be diminishing as there is some healing/fin-regeneration!

Whatever it was I must have done the right thing as it seems to be gone! [dancing]

15. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

That's great. What ever your treating it with I'd continue doing it for a few more days just to be sure.

16. LemonDiscus

Yup, still am.

Actually the 2 new Angels I got a few weeks ago that I think started all of this seem sick now. I pulled them out of the display tank and moved them to my 20 gallon. Heat and Salt treatment started on that tank!

What I care about now is the Discus as I hate to say it but I have WAY too many Angels now to worry bout 2 of them (about 80 between pea size but closer to dime size and 200 that still look like little tadpoles)! And definitely dont want those 2 Angels re-infecting the Discus!

17. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

With the price of Discus I'd worry about them more as well.

18. LemonDiscus

That would be the main reason!! :) Lets see:

Cost of Angelfish - $6.99
    Cost of Rid-Ich - $6.99
    Cost of Fu-Ba Fix - $7.99
    Cost of Discus - $79.99
    Saving a Discus' life - Priceless :D

:)

19. Anthony

Anthony Active Member