1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Discus Project Log

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by LemonDiscus, May 9, 2009.

1. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

I really hope those heckels will spawn for you lemon, you deserve it! And Am I getting this good? A heckel is showing spawn behaviour with your old bully avatar?

2. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Thread Starter Active Member

No.... the Mayan Jade.... The bully is a Marlboro Red... the Mayan Jade is the Blue one with the Red lines all over... the one Anthony likes the best! ;)

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

How high should I tweak my temp Ryan...going slow with the adjusting to make sure all is well.
    I heard 82F if you have a highly planted tank?
    The fish I'm planning on getting will only be 2" if that makes any difference?

4. LemonDiscus

My tank is planted and kept at 86... My plants ARE picked to tolerate that temp which only leaves a small few species....

82 would be an ok target... Younger 2" ones I would recommend keeping in a bare tank or one you can hold 86-90 for a while... Babies like that dont really do to well in lower temps from my experience. The older adults... well, you can grab them with you hands out the water and change tanks to a PH 2 levels higher with no acclimation (Yes I have done that and yes those are STILL alive) the younger they are though the more chance of stunting their growth... the higher chance they will die for MANY reasons (bad stock, low quality, sick when you get it, does not acclimate properly... the list goes on)

The way I acclimate Discus is in a bucket. I let them loose in a 5 gallon bucket with the water that was in their bag... take a cup of water from your tank and dump the cup in the bucket... wait a few minutes... repeat. You do this until you have tripled the water they were brought home with or more... net the fish out and put them in your tank.

Watch for hiding (why I said a bare tank would be best this young) as some babies will hide and NEVER come out... a few days later you find a floater that has not eaten in a week and starved itself to death... IF you have a 20 gallon that would do for a few weeks til you KNOW they are eating... I would fill the 20 off of the tank you plan on putting them in (to match water parameters)... That will be a 3-5 day task being sure that they are indeed eating... Darkness will occur in the pigment as the move will cause stress... but dark, clamped fins and hiding is BAD! They need not have at least 1 symptom... otherwise, that is the fish you most likely will loose.

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

no room for 20g, slowly notching the heat up>>>the thermometer comes tomorrow or the next day (that will tell me where I'm at...and from there I'll adjust as needed)...most of my plants should be able to handle the heat (double checked here and there)...theirs maybe 1 or 2 that I'd like to pluck from the tank (especially that 1 CHINESE algae eater that i've had for a few years---but can't catch the booger!).

I do my acclimation the same way you said, so good to go there.
    Being only 2" I may be able to use the 10g to acclimate>>>or possibly a rubbermaid container if worse came to worse.

I kinda thought being that small they'd be easier to adjust than say a larger one that has been kept at certain param. for x amount of time.

6. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

that's the one I like best too! The Mayan looks so pretty :) (s)he is one of the reasons why i am so facinated by discus. By their wide variaty of colors :)

7. LemonDiscus

A 10 gallon would do... CHANGE WATER IN IT DAILY 10% and feed 4-6 times a day!!!!

No babies are MUCH harder... they need VERY frequent water changes... they need to be fed AT LEAST 4 times a day and are VERY picky about water parameters and stray things here and there... A plant might freak them out and cause them to quit eating...

Larger ones are more adaptable in my experience than young ones... EVEN IF they are set at 1 parameter for a LONG time... they just handle stress better than young ones...

8. LemonDiscus

I left ONLY the domestics I would be willing to have breed with the Heckels in that tank... it took all those red and yellow ones out! lol

I have that brown one I had and the Mayan Jade... From here on out I wont buy the vibrant colored Discus... only the more natural looking ones (which could be some domestics with blue in them and what not)