1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Discus

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by brianb4536, Apr 20, 2010.

1. brianb4536

brianb4536 Thread Starter New Member

Will a discus survive in a ph of 7.5?

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I've heard of Discus being kept in water with a pH of up to 7.4 but I don't think it's recommended. Discus are very sensitive to changes in water chemistry.

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I wouldn't do it, too expensive to risk!
    I know hans has the highest pH on his and that's 7.0
    Ask what pH there at BEFORE you buy and try.

4. absntmnd69

absntmnd69 New Member

i was having this problem before. (wanting to keep discus but pH was too high) but i ended up planting the tank and added a nice and large piece of driftwood and slowly but surely my pH started dropping. it went from 7.6 to now 6.8. but i agree with dawn. ive got almost $100 in 4 discus and if you were to ask anyone, thats not much for these fish but its enough to make you keep the tank in the best condition possible. i say wait it out and naturally try to lower your pH. dont use chemicals because you will get to a point that without the chemicals you face the risk of the tank crashing.