1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Distressed/Stressed Guppy

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases & Cures' started by Anonymous, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Re: Guppy in distress!

nope, no problems, well water is pretty clean stuff in most areas that are not close to the city or factories, so it is the one befit of living in the middle of nowhere, the con is Most fish stores are a half hour away, even then I don't to that town that often and the town I do go to often that has fish stores is an hour away.

The stress form the long drive is most likely the reason for losing the fish I do in the first week.

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

sheesh! I envy the water quality but the half hour drive should do it? Have you tried transferring said fish in a small bucket with a battery operated aerator on it? I know hotter temps have something to do with it, but 30min drive should not be the only factor causing death.
    The fish store I goto is about 30 minutes drive time and I've never had a real issue...stress...but not death some time later?

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

it not the 30 minute ones that i have problems with, it the one I that I have to buy from because I can't go to the town that has the 30 minute one. so I have to work with ones that are one hour away.

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I gotcha now. Hour travel time I'd do the bucket with a battery operated airpump. I know I've seen online tabs that you can add to the water that bubble off oxygen (not sure if they have them in your area or not)?
    I'm sure the water stays warm enough during the ride! I would think the issue would lie within the oxygen. I know my lfs will give you a styrofoam container for larger orders and fill that with water. Not sure if yours would do the same?
    Can always tuck one off to the side for fish trips?
    Or you get stuck ordering online/ebay/aquabid?? I've gotten shrimp and plecos that way which have had no problem surviving Priority Mail.
    Just a thought

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

yea, it would work just fine if I could just go to the one that only half an hour a way and not the one that an hour a way. The only problem with a bucket is that our roads is a dirt road, so the water would be every were, Our road is real bumpy.

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Eek! That's not good...fill it a few inches? Get one of those 5 gallon cement buckets?
    I live in the city..our streets are filled with potholes everywhere! Believe me when I say I know bumpy! I have front end alignments on a reg. basis.
    Lol!

7. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

you don't know bumpy, our cars don't need alignments that often because one unalines it and the next one re alines it.

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Holy crud! Sounds similar to the old time brick roads that had railroad tracks running over them!

9. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

yea it use to be OK, until we start to get people using like a highway, I swear I have seen one or two of the cars going close to 70.

10. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

what I dont understand is why no one suggest you buy a styrofoam cooler from a gas station for three dollars and then place the bubbler (airstone) in the water and tape the lid on. You may get a little leakage, just throw a towel under the cooler and itll be all good. You may not even need an airstone as the bumpy roads will keep the water aggitated thus allowing oxygen exchange.

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I did make that recommendation already, But instead of saying bubbler I said battery operated aerator (one for bait buckets). Lol. It's in here somewhere!

12. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Im talking about the styrofoam cooler recommendation.

13. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I did that too..lol!

14. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Must have missed it, thought I read every post and only heard talk of a styrofoam container at a LFS.

15. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

you tried transferring said fish in a small bucket with a battery operated aerator on it?
    know my lfs will give you a styrofoam container for larger orders and fill that with water. Not sure if yours would do the same? CAN ALWAYS TUCK ONE OFF TO THE SIDE for fish trips?
    It's okay, I tend to speed read myself and have missed things here and there. Also, I basically said it in passing (like this is what my lfs does, try it).

16. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

deemed improper acclimation and improper male to female ratio was cause.