1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Do It Yourself DIY co2 jello method

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by GOT MTS?, Jan 31, 2009.

1. GOT MTS?

GOT MTS? Thread Starter Member

Ok this was requested by Anthony...

So when I first got into planted tanks I had thought about the DIY yeast co2 generator. Then I got a good deal on a pressurized system and never used DIY. Now I have a splitter on my system so it can go to 3 tanks. Unfortunately the tanks I'm setting up are too far away so I'm back to DIY.

I have done hours of research into yeast co2 and here is what I have come up with. It is a combination of sever designs and ideas. I have not yet tested it but will do so very soon.

I want to make a system with enough pressure to be able to use a pollen glass diffuser. I have used several diffusion methods over the years and found pollen glass to be the best.

Materials list: 5 gallon bucket with a lid, two 2 litter soda bottles, a 1 litter wide mouth soda bottle, 4 bulkhead fittings (link below is bulkhead fittings)

(<a class="postlink" href="http://www.advantagehobby.com/product.php?productid=64517&cat=704&page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.advantagehobby.com/product.p ... 704&page=1</a>)

rubber washers, silicone, T air line valve, small submersible heater, silicone tubing, and a diffuser (in this case pollen glass)

For mixture: yeast, sugar, jello

For the most part its like any other DIY yeast system you've seen. However I am using two chambers to try and get more pressure built up.

So drill the lids of your 2 liter bottles then use the bulkhead fittings, rubber washers and silicone to get an air tight fit. Drill 2 hole in your 1 liter wide mouth bottle and secure 2 bulkhead fittings. The 1 liter bottle is going to be your gas separator. Run tubing from you two 2 liter bottles to your T valve and then from your T valve to your 1 liter gas separator/bubble counter. fill your 1 liter bottle with a little water. your going to need to use a short length of tubing inside your gas separator so that the end of the bulkhead fitting reaches below the water line (if your going to use it as a bubble counter). Then run tubing to your diffuser.

I plan on using Velcro, or a big rubber band to hold my 3 bottles together. (i would use duck tape but then it would be hard to get the caps off with out tuning the tubing around and around)

I plan on putting the entire set up in a 5 gallon bucket. I will probably put a little sand in the bottom of the bottles to weight then down because I plan on filling the bucket with water. I am going to use a small submersible heater to heat the water around the bottles because yeast produces more at higher temperatures and it a little chilly in my house.

So now I will need to drill 2 holes in the lid of my bucket, 1 for the co2 line and the other for the power cord for the heater. Many people put a pressure valve in there line somewhere so if pressure get too high the bottles wont explode sending your yeast mixture all over the house. I am not using this because mine is all contained in a bucket.

the heater will be on a timer with my lights so the yeast will produce the most co2 when it is needed and hopefully go dormant over night when it is not needed. I hope this will prolong the life of my yeast mixture.

Ok lastly the yeast mixture recipe. A lot of people are using jello these days I haven't read why but this is my guess and also the reason I thought of it before I ever researched a recipe. 1. gelatin is a great food source (have you ever left out jello? It grows mold really well.) 2. If there is a buildup of pressure and the caps of your bottle blows off the jello is solid so it wont go flying every where (just a theory, of coarse it my still be pretty liquidy if you use a heater)

So here is a recipe that looked pretty good to me. I am just going to cut and paste it in here from it source that will go un-named.

4 cups water
    1 cup sugar
    2 packages of Gelatin
    ¼ tsp baking soda

¼ tsp yeast
    1 cup warm water
    pinch of sugar

Dissolve the gelatin in 1 cup cool water and stir in 3 cups boiling water. Add sugar and Baking Soda and stir until dissolved. Pour mixture into 2 liter bottle and allow to cool and set up. Rehydrate yeast in warm water (95 degrees F) with a pinch of sugar for 10 minutes. Pour on top of set sugar gelatine.

I actually had another recipe that I liked better but can't seem to find it. you might need to play around with this a little. IF I find it again I'll post it latter.

Well I know this was a long post. Hope I didn't bore anyone. CHEERS!

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Great thanks ! I've done the normal DIY cO2 thing but wasn't happy with it. I'll give this a try just to see what happens.

3. GOT MTS?

I'll post pictures and let you know how works after I get it set up. I'm still waiting on a few parts.

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Okay cool.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

how is this project going MTS??

6. GOT MTS?

Well here is the thing. I poured concrete into one of the bottles so it would not float in the bucket of water. I figured that the alkalinity of the concrete would help my mixture to last longer, most recipes call for baking soda for that very purpose. The concrete made the mixture too alkaline to support life. I have since read that it will take about a moth for the concrete to fully cure and stop leaching the alkaline.

With the other bottle I tried it out just to see how the jello method works. I have to say I really like using the jello. I used a different recipe than the one listed. I made less because it was just a test. The recipe I used did not last a full 2 weeks. I will post the best recipe after I figure it out.

With only one bottle I was not able to get enough pressure for the pollen glass diffuser to work. I will try again once I get both bottles with concrete in them cured. I still don't know if it will be enough and may have to use another method of diffusion. I don't have the tank ready that I was going to use this on so there is no rush. I will post a final outcome when I get it done.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

thanks

8. James0816

James0816 New Member

Glad I stumbled upon this thread. I use the Jell-O method as well. Slightly different method though and results. I must say, I am getting outstanding results with it. One 2l bottle is still generating after (4) weeks! My other is on it's third week.

What I like about Jell-O is when the generation slows and/or stops, just pour out the liquid and add new yeast/water to it. Since there is still Jell-O in the bottle, it will pick up where it left off.

Here's how I do it:

- Start with (1) 6 oz. packet of Jell-O. Prepare it just as it states on the box by boiling (2) cups of water. I don't measure the water that I'm going to boil. Just put enough in the pan.
    - In a large bowl, empty contents of Jell-O packet. When water is at a rolling boil, measure out (2) cups and pour into the bowl. Mix thoroughly until Jell-O is dissolved.
    - Add (2) cups sugar. Again, mix thoroughly until well dissolved.
    - Add (2) cups cold water, mix thoroughly. Should be nothing to dissolve but mix it up anyway.
    - Two options here: (1) using a funnel, pour Jell-O into 2l bottle. Place cap on but do not tighten, let it breath since it is hot. Place bottle in fridge to set. (2) if using a juice bottle such as Ocean Spray Cran-Raspberry (I am switching over to these exclusively due to the lid ;) ), pour Jell-O into a flat tupperware container, cover and set. (* more on this step later).
    - Next day, remove bottle from fridge and let sit out for a bit. This is only to bring the temperature up a little. No real impact but I like to do it.
    - Using a measuring cup, add hot tap water. I don't take a temp reading but I'm guessing it to be 90+. To this add 1/4 tsp sugar. Stir vigorously. While the water is still spinning (tornado effect ;) ) gently pour in 3/4 tsp. yeast. I do it this way to help prevent clumping of the yeast. Let this sit for 10-15 minutes to activate the yeast.
    - Pour yeast into Jell-O bottle
    - Again using hot water, fill Jell-O bottle to just under the spot where it starts to narrow.
    - Add 1/4 tsp baking soda.
    - Add a pinch of yeast to the top.
    - Cap tightly and you're ready to make CO2.

I find that it starts generating within (1) hour.

* For better performance of the Jell-O, I have poked holes in the Jell-O. This was actually not easy. :) I used a tube and sucked up a plug and then blew it back into the bottle. Just makes for more surface space for the yeast to work. This was for the 2l bottle.

* For the Juice bottle, using the flat Tupperware container, I cut the Jell-O in cubes and added it to the bottle. Again, this allows for more surface space for the yeast.

In my original bottles, I just drilled small enough holes to fit the airline tubing into. This worked well just using a Limewood airstone. I have since went over to the glass diffusers. What I found here was that they didn't have enough pressure to force the gas out of the diffuser and thus losing gas somewhere. Most likely through the seperator bottle. I took the lids and siliconed on the inside around the tubing. After curing, I rinsed off well with hot water and put them back on. This then enabled enough pressure to blow the CO2 out of the diffuser.

I have found as far as bottles are concerned, the best ones to use are the juice bottles and for the gas seperator bottle, I am using a bottled water bottle. They have different threaded caps which make for a much better seal.

I'm soon to go pressurized for two tanks but will continue with the Jell-O on a third which like MTS said is too far away to use pressurized.

My next experiement with DIY will be using grape jelly. Yep...that wasn't a typo....grape jelly. :)

Just my long .02 worth of info to add. Hope it helped!

:cool:

9. GOT MTS?

Hey thanks for all the great input. ;) I will defiantly try your recipe out. I just had one question about your mix. Will it go 3 weeks without any adjustment or do you have to add water like you stated, in order to max its life? If so how long does it last before you have to add water?

Also I used bulkhead fittings on my 2L bottles and really like them. I drilled the hole so small I had to thread the fittings on before I put on the nut. I used lots of silicone on the threads and around the lip of the fitting before I tightened the nut. I got a really good seal. I did have to use zip ties to secure my tubing since it was a little lose on the end of the fitting.

I will try again and see if I can get enough pressure with a full bottle of mixture. I need to get a new diffuser though because I broke the other one. Those things are just so delicate. [cussing]

10. James0816

James0816 New Member

Tell me about it. I broke one after two days when I went to relocate it. grrrrrrr.

As for re-energizing it, mine have lasted quite a long time until I reenergized it....several weeks. Even when I went to re-energize, it was still producing but at a slower rate. Like the one going now, to be honest with you, I can't remember when I initially started it but it has been a couple months. Let me go back through my notes and see if I can find out when I set them up.

The trick is when you re-energize is to pour the water out until you start getting small clumps of Jell-O. Keeps quite a bit still in the bottle.

Not sure on the bulkheads. I've seen many people using them. I went the quick route and just drilled the hole a little smaller than the tubing.

11. James0816

James0816 New Member

ok...this one bottle has been established since december. I have only recharged it once and that was (4) weeks ago. So it went nearly (2) months prior to.

* DISCLAIMER * Need to add a legal disclaimer. Results atypical and can vary from set up to set up. Just had to get that in there. ;o)

12. GOT MTS?

Wow that is very impressive results :!:

Another great way to get a good seal on your bottle is to take a suction cup for airline tubing and cut the hook off, then drill a hole smaller then your tubing. It doesn't matter how big the hole in the cap is because once you screw it down the suction cup spreads out over the bottle lip.

I haven't tried it in a 2L bottle but I am using it in a small water bottle for co2 in my nano tank. I tested the seal by using a plastic syringe and forcing air into the bottle and I forced in 50cc with no leak. ;)

13. James0816

James0816 New Member

Interesting. You'll have to post some pics of that so I can get a good visual. One thing I also thought about was either getting a washer or using the plumbing gasket material to create a gasket under the cap. I think the gasket would work well in that you would drill the same size hole through it as the cap and run the tubing through it.

I have the material and going to do this when I energize again.

14. GOT MTS?

Well here are the reference photos you asked for. All you do is place the suction cup in the mouth of the bottle and when you tighten the cap down it seats right in there creating a seal ;)
    DSCF0002.JPG DSCF0003.JPG

15. James0816

James0816 New Member

Interesting....may have to give it a whirl.

16. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Something that may work better is a sauce bottle. I've always used water bottles but had a hard time getting the hole in the cap to seal completely with the tube in it.

17. GOT MTS?

Do you mean like squeezable ketchup type bottle?