1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

DIY Co2 woes

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by Ryanstech, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Ryanstech

Ryanstech Thread Starter New Member

my bottle backed up and started leaking, luckily I was here and caught it before it could do real damage. Definitely time to start looking into pressurized Co2 and for the meantime improving my DIY with an overflow bottle and more secure tube fittings. live and learn...

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Was it draining water from the tank or just leaking the sugar/yeast from the bottle ?

3. BobV

BobV Member

Flourish Excel will eliminate the need for DIY or even pressurized CO2

4. Ryanstech

it started draining the tank after changing out the bottle. i had just taken off my failed check valve and went downstairs to find a new one.

5. James0816

James0816 New Member

Definately helps to have that second bottle attached to the system. Me though, I live dangerous and not running any check valves at the moment. <knocks on simulated wood>.

6. Ryanstech

I'd put one in James, airline tubing drains water surprisingly fast

7. BobV

BobV Member

if the bottle is kept below the tank level, a check valve wouldn't be necessary.

8. James0816

James0816 New Member

I would always recommend one even though I haven't implemented yet myself. Mine were just experimental at first and just kind of stayed there. lol

9. Ryanstech

I think you mean above the tank bob. having the bottle below the tank is what started the syphon.

10. GOT MTS?

GOT MTS? Member

Flourish Excel has to be used every day. Unless you want to dose every day I wold just add a check valve and a gas separator.

IF you do go with a pressurized system I got a great deal on my 10LB co2 cylinder from sparkling carbonic <a class="postlink" href="http://www.sparklingcarbonic.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.sparklingcarbonic.com</a>. They refurbish and do hydro testing on used co2 cylinders. I got mine with shipping for $50.

11. James0816

James0816 New Member

Also with Excel...it will melt some plants.

12. Ryanstech

not a bad deal GOT MTS. I'll keep my eye out for co2 tank deals. Also considering the paintball tank option as well

13. BobV

BobV Member

yep, I misspoke, I did mean above the tank....thanks for catching that

14. Ryanstech

putting it above my tank where it is now isn't possible so today I got some new check valves in the mail that are apparently made for co2 use. tomorrow I'll go get some airline bulkheads or something similar to make a more secure bottle system until my wallet shares my enthusiasm for going pressurized. :)