1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Do It Yourself DIY In Tank Dividers

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by MOD_Dawn, Apr 10, 2010.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Thread Starter Active Member

OKay, I was browsing about for a good way to divide a tank... Now, I know you can buy the store bought "aquarium" dividers...but the downfall of them seems to be the "hooks" on the top that have to go over the aquarium frame~ doesn't look like it will allow a glass canopy to be utilized with them!

So I've seen several ideas which can be employed that don't look super gaudy and should do the trick depending on which route you want to take ;)

OPTION 1

[*]NeedlePoint/Cross Stitch Plastic Sheets from Wal-mart or a Craft Store
    [*]Plastic Report Spines
    [*]Low Temp Glue or Aquarium Adhesive/Sealant

1) Cut the sheet to fit your tanks width/height...keeping in mind to leave room for any equipment that may be in the way
    2) Spread some adhesive into the Plastic Report Spines & slide your "sheet" into the tracks
    3) Allow to properly dry...rinse...and simply stick into the tank--use substrate to hold the bottom in place OR you can use suction cups to hold it in place
    Suction Cup Dividers.jpg Report Cover Spine.jpg Aquarium Silicone-Sealant.jpg Needlepoint Plastic Sheet.jpg 20g long.jpg

2. MOD_Dawn

OPTION 2
    *Note that it can be a bleep to cut PlexiGlass/Lexan

[*]PlexiGlass or Lexan ... can be found at Hardware Stores such as Lowes/Home Depot
    [*]Masking Tape
    [*]Dremel or Drill with a Small Drill Bit for drilling "holes"

1) Measure your height & width of the inside of the tank...you'll want this to be a "tight" fit and keep in mind to leave room for any equipment
    2) Cover BOTH sides of any places that will need cut using masking tape (will help prevent chipping/breaking)
    -> More about cutting Lexan/PlexiGlass Here http://www.ehow.com/how_4967847_cut-lexan.html
    3) For proper water circulation cover the area to be drilled with masking tape on both sides and drill as many holes as you deem necessary.
    4) Rinse and simply wedge into the tank...if the fits tight enough you won't even have to worry about using substrate to "hold" it into place.
    Drill Bit..I suggest using the smallest one!.jpg Dremel.jpg Masking Tape.gif Lexan.jpg DividedTanka.jpg

3. MOD_Dawn

Option 3

[*]Lighting Diffuser/Egg Crate or even fiberglass screen... can be found at Hardware Stores such as Lowes/Home Depot
    [*]PVC Tubing/Pipes (I've found black hides perfectly with black backgrounds)
    [*]PVC Elbows to construct square frame (4 that are same diameter as your pvc tubing..ex. 1/2" tubing...1/2" Elbows)
    [*]Zip Ties
    [*]Gravel/Sand and or Drill Small Pilot holes to prevent bouyancy

1) Measure your height & width of the inside of the tank...you'll want this to be a "tight" fit and keep in mind to leave room for any equipment and allow for the depth of the pvc pipe/tubing you'll be using
    2) Cut Pvc Tubing according to the size you need and construct your frame using the elbows...being sure to "weigh" the bottom portion with Gravel/Sand and or by filling Pilot holes (this will prevent bouyancy)
    3) Cut your lighting Diffuser/Egg Crate sheet to fit your frame and zip tie it into place
    4) Rinse & Carefully wedge into your aquarium
    Aquarium Sand.jpg Zip Ties.jpg one half inch pvc elbow.jpg one half inch pvc tubing.jpg Lighting Diffuser-Egg Crate.jpg 002-2.jpg

4. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Active Member

lol, I might just do that. I have a 20 gallon just sorta sitting outside, be an easier option than the two 10 gallons... But the fry could pass through the Cross Stitch Sheet.... I would rather not interbreed... We'll see.

5. MOD_Dawn

really, cross stitch sheet is really tiny...you can get a fabric version with no possible slip through at the fabric store such as joanns fabric (I posted a photo of it somewhere on here, just can't remember exactly where).

6. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

those are great Dawn, thank you

7. MOD_Dawn

welcome, you have to add a photo of yours using the undergravel filter plates for us when you get a chance! (I know I'd like to see how they look)