1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Do It Yourself DIY POND Assistance Needed

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Leslie, May 26, 2009.

1. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

Re: i need some help on making a pond

thats not cheap pond build lol [cya]

2. James0816

James0816 New Member

Gotta build to last right? ;)

I'm even flirting with a plexi viewing window. We'll see how it works out when I begin working on the deck.

3. Leslie

Leslie Thread Starter New Member

ok. I am a little late on this. i already said the black mat. i already have a ton of concrete block from where my dad and my ex have worked on consturction sites. isnt there a something you can put on it to make the water not leak out like the in ground swiming pools? i want a deacent size one.

4. James0816

James0816 New Member

see above post. build it, coat it, cure it, fill it....stock it. ;o)

5. Leslie

yeah i seen that after i posted. thats costly. do you think it would be cheaper at lowes or home depot? i just want it ti be 4 feet around not a circle. and come to my knees.

6. James0816

James0816 New Member

I'm sure they have some products. Maybe Drylock or such....but is it marine safe. Quality is what you need for something of this nature. No room for error.

7. Leslie

yeah, i know. i am just thinking about getting the plastic ponds now. they just didnt make them how big i wanted it. i wanted it to be. 5 ft by 4 ft and 1 1/2 feet deep.

8. James0816

James0816 New Member

Might not be able to get those exact measurements but definatley check with your local lanscaping company like Meadows Farms (if you have those out your way). I'm sure you can get something similar.

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

James, I saw you mention "is it marine safe". Was that a question I missed somewhere ?

I would not recommend attempting a saltwater "pond".

10. Leslie

im sorry but lol!! really now! you really think id do a saltwater pond?? lol

11. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

:) I had to check because I thought I may have missed that question/comment.

12. James0816

James0816 New Member

Now wouldn't that be something! ;o)

13. Leslie

maybe if i lived in fl and did it inside maybe.

14. justonemoretank

justonemoretank New Member

NO NO NO No Pond Armor. Please take my advice! It is the worst product ever!! I wasted six hundred dollars on this product. The product is no good. This is not only my experience -- others have had the same experience with this epoxy, and those experiences are posted on wetwebmedia -- just google pond armor on their page. If anyone has ever known someone for whom this product worked, I'd really like to know. Sure, if the pond is outside, some leakage would probably be okay, and maybe not even noticeable, but for my application, it was a waste of money. In any case, a product that is supposed to seal concrete but doesn't is a crappy product, in my opinion. We took all necessary precautions to create the smoothest surface possible, and after three coats, we still had leaks. The company is able to duck out of any responsibility due to the fact that it is the consumer who applies the product, so they don't guarantee the product at all, but, in my opinion, it is the company who is responsible for providing all necessary information regarding the product. They seem to expect the consumer to have prior knowledge of the process, because they rely on a "you can ask us any question you want" philosophy. In order to ask the question, you'd have to know about the subject -- otherwise, how would you know what to ask? They provide very little instruction, and don't really care, because of their lack of guarantee. Sorry to get up on my soap box, but I HATE this company and I hope no one ever buys their products again. I'd put this in the "product reviews" part, but I saw someone mention the name on this thread, and almost fell out of my chair. Bad, bad product. Again, sorry.

15. James0816

James0816 New Member

Wowsers! First I've seen a negative comment for this. I know of several people with 1000+ ponds. (inside and out) that swear by this product and haven't had any issues. One in particular is a 10k. If memory serves me right, I believe someone else built a 35k. Can't mention the website, but I have done extensive research on this.

Definately sorry to hear you had such a bad time with it though. What did you wind up using to fix it?

16. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

yea if you looking into making a small pond i would just get pond liner dig a whole and shove it in and if theres a leak or anything you would get you fish out intime to patch it or anything

17. justonemoretank

justonemoretank New Member

We just used a liner over pond. Like I said, I've read numerous reports of people tearing their hair out over this product. Basically, you buy some, and it doesn't work, so you buy some more, and that doesn't work, so you call the company, and they say, "Oh, you should do A, B, and C," so you go and buy some more. I stopped after the sixth kit. It was just throwing money away. And the liner was half as much as I spent on the kits. It doesn't look nearly as great, but at least I never have to worry about waking up to a bedroom full of water.