1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

DUDE MY PUFFER JUST DIED!!!!

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases & Cures' started by Anonymous, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

ok, ill just stir it then :D

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I use the 5:1 METHOD when cleaning (5 c water to 1 c PLAIN clorox bleach).
    It goes something like this--10-15 minutes soaking in the 5:1, rinse with clean water, 10-15 minutes soaking in clean water, rinse with clean water, allow to completely air dry (takes less than 24 hours)--totally kills any possible harmful bacteria that may be present.

Of course YOU CAN'T USE THIS ON things like filter cartridges or substrates--but it will return your things to like new...and no algae will remain on things like your decorations (plus I like the fact that its a scrub free method).

SUBSTRATES can be rinsed and spread thinly on a cookie sheet at 425F until dried out--that totally disinfects it and kills any harmful bacteria that could possibly be present.

IF your afraid to do your plastic plants with this method they sell a PLASTIC PLANT CLEANER that you can use--found it at Wal-mart. Here's a link to show you what it is and looks like--I use the 5:1 METHOD when cleaning ...ubref=AA&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=0016880000000

Don't forget to clean everything that touched the saltwater (filters, heaters, decorations, substrate, any airline tubing-suction cup holders, etc.) :!:

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Thank you for all your help everyone :D i'll start to take the tank apart this weekend, and i think i'll just get new sand or get black rock to try and show of the color of my new fish when the tank is ready.

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

You'll definately have to post some pictures of it once its all set up :)

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Hehe i will post pics, ive decided that i want to put some simpler easy fish in there when i switch it back to freshwater. I'm thinking 4 dwarf gouramis, 5 neon tetras, 5 cardinals, and maybe 5 or 10 fancy guppies. What do you think? I really want better fish like cichlids but my tank is just to small for them, and it will propably be a week or two until i get the new fish :D

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

If it's a 20g...no more than 20" of fish (and don't forget to go by their max. adult size & not the size their bought at).

7. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Also dont foget that that rule goes out the window if the adult fish is larger than like 4". So dont get two 10" fish.

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

That "rule" doesn't apply to saltwater.

9. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

ok when I go and get the fish I'll keep all of that in mind. Thank you

10. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

So i decided to get another puffer, as i still had everything from my last. I did a 100% water change and just kept on testing it and it was finally good enough to get another. So i just decided to keep the same setup for it so no pictures to post. Also I am getting a new tank for African Cichlids, and the tank currently has Malaysian Trumpet Snails would my new puffer be able to eat those?

11. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You changed it back to freshwater correct ?

Did you test the water using a test kit ?

12. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I left it as saltwater, and i bought my own marine saltwater kit, and everything looked good. And since the trumpet snails are freshwater and the puffer would propably end up eating them anyways would it be ok to put them in the tank with my new puffer, if i get the tank that has them.

13. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You can't place a puffer directly into saltwater. The snails would die very quickly and cause water quality problems. But again, you can't keep the tank full saltwater and place a puffer in it that was in freshwater.