1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Dusted off the camera!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by FishVixen, Feb 16, 2010.

1. FishVixen

FishVixen Thread Starter Active Member

Well still experimenting with the camera but here,s my newly cycled 29 gal. 1st tank in over 25 years.
    Well be looking into getting a pair of Kribensis next week
    PICT0006.JPG

2. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

I gotta hide this pic from the wife, its in my best intrest she does not see your background.

The tank looks like its come along quite well since the other pics I saw yesterday in an older post you made when you first planted it.

I am digging the hidden cave too, that is really nice.

3. FishVixen

The hidden cave was made from gavel and GE silicone 1 mixed together and formed in a glass bowl. Quick simple and cheap. Any size or shape can be made this way. All black gravel caves are really attractive.

4. WhiteGloveAquatics

Im doing it, the guppies will adore it and maybe if ebay pulls thru and people pay quick I might go get another bag of flourite or atleast find someone in the club with extra, that is very very nice. awesome imagination.

5. FishVixen

Thanks, I'm on disability so I have a small budget. Always diy projects for me! :) But sometimes a headache [banghead]

6. FishVixen

BTW background is a piece of remnant material from Material store I got for $0.35 taped on back.

7. WhiteGloveAquatics

you make more then I do, im unemployed as of 2 weeks ago. sucks but atleast now I have the time to spend with my wife and kids.

ebay has been good recently so I am trying to get enough together to open a store by spring, trying to offer a variety but who knows. Hopefully one of these surveyors calls back and I can get back out measuring stuff

8. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

Your a surveyor! I start out as a surveyor I guess technically I still am, I still hold a Fl PLS

Rick

9. WhiteGloveAquatics

Still a chainman, Should be a party chief but the $%^ I worked for skipped to europe to marry some british lady and never payed us before he left, so him being gone a month with no pay we all got new jobs, this was back in 06/07ish before the housing bust, back when the properties were changing hands like grunts change their socks, money was fantastic, 3k a week easy, then to go to a 12 bucks an hour job and then get laid off after 2.5 years of dedicated service(cabela's) because they put the building in a bad county and in a mostly white collar area.

I need to dust off my books again but I use topography like crazy when I hunt so thats still fresh, its the tripod set up that im going to struggle with.

10. FishVixen

A bump here a bruise there and pretty soon you'll be a pro again. You'll be whizzin around the tripod. I have faith in people (especially those who like fishies) LOL I have faith in you.

11. WhiteGloveAquatics

I want to get into real surveyments not residentials, Id love to be out in the woods with GPS trying to find that 100+ year old piece of iron way down in the dirt.

I love working in chicago itself, the markers are as old as the city itself, the chicago fire didnt wipe those away.

12. FishVixen

I grew up at 119th and State St. (south side Chicago) Yes the ghetto! But I survived. You're right Mrs O'leary's cow didn't get everything. :) Haven't been near Chicago since 1978

13. WhiteGloveAquatics

you arent missing much, a Daley is still in office.

There was an offer to the bankrupt owners of the water tower place for 30 billion last week, the oldest building in chicago.

Ive done some residential work down there, the only white guy on south chicago avenue. Its kinda where I got the nickname from.

14. FishVixen

Understand that, I'm sure by now If your not way out in the burbs or in Berwyn you sort of stick out.

15. FishVixen

Sorry for the double dip here but I must say I had some great friends who supported me back then. People of Chicago do support one another. I had 3 friends into aquariums also and one shop wouldn't let them even come in the door let alone shop so I would go in and buy everything for everyone. Eventually I was barred also. Hey those were the times back then.

16. Leslie

Leslie New Member

i like the wood. i really need to try some caves. maybe i wont be lazy

17. FishVixen

I bought that piece of driftwood for $10 and like I said earlier the cave is simple and cheap to make. I actually bought 2 piece site unseen just pics. when I got them they are huge. Could only put 1 in tank the other piece is even larger, I'm hunting for free pieces of wood now to build my own hood. I love DIY projects. Hunting the material for them keeps me out of trouble. :)

18. WhiteGloveAquatics

Yes we do support eachother but look at the times now, and the news, we kill eachother for nothing too.
    Eh all great societies fall.

Best places to look at those huge metal dumpsters in driveways, construction material dumpsters are goldmines.

I got tons of wood from the one down the street, the guy even loaded his truck and drove it down to me. it saves them money.

19. FishVixen

Dumpsters are a goldmine!I live in an area that has lots of larger stores and construction sites as the stores are always going out of business and filling up the dumpsters.

20. WhiteGloveAquatics

My 52g FBH tank,top,light and stand among boxes of aquarium gear were found next to a dumpster. I hit em all the time, never know whats in there, fi you cant use it someone else can.