1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Dwarf Puffer Care and Lighting for Planted Tank

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by Anonymous, Feb 1, 2009.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Re: It's Been a while!!! Puffer Compatibility

I was going with the green spotted. Lol.
    Are the dwarf ones the brackish ones they are selling in Wal-mart Anthony?

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

The only ones I've seen WalMart sell are Figure Eight and Green Spotted Puffers. They are freshwater fish when they're young but need to be slowly converted to saltwater.

Indian Dwarf Puffers are strictly freshwater.
    aa1272.g.akamai.net_7_1272_1121_20080328150817_www.liveaquaria83d78e43d42b250230a46dd73e210dcf.jpg

3. justonemoretank

justonemoretank New Member

I think the problem with the puffers is that they're nippy and pretty fast, which is bad news for your guppies, platies, and gouramis. I have heard of people keeping puffers in a species-specific tank, and that's probably the best bet -- that way, you can tailor everything (decor, water quality, water chemistry) toward the puffers. I'm pretty sure, depending on the tank size, of course, that you could keep several of the same type together. Some fins may get nipped, anyway, but with good water quality, they should heal quickly.

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I've seen these bright small yellow puffers at my wal-mart. Never took notice of the name tag on the tank though.