1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Article Dyed/Tattooed Fish

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Anthony, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Anthony

Anthony Thread Starter Active Member

The term painted fish refers to ornamental aquarium fish which have been artificially coloured through extremely cruel processes in order to appeal to consumers, especially young children. Buying an animal only due to its appearance when one is not sufficiently prepared or willing to take care of it is wrong. The color in the fish fades within months, leaving it undesirable to those who bought only it for its coloring. Unfortunately, most of these fish perish due to dye-related complications far before the color has a chance to fade.

How it's done:
    Dye Injection - Large needles are used to inject dye under the skin. Because only a small area is affected, the fish must be subjected to many punctures to achieve the desired effect. The popular painted glassfish are dyed this way, using florescent colored paints. Fish that are injected often contract infections from the punctures.

Dipping - As barbaric as dye injections seem, this practice is even worse. The fish are first put into a caustic solution that strips off their protective outer slime coating. They are then dipped in dye, or injected with dyes, after which they are dipped in another chemical that irritates the flesh to stimulate re-growth of the slime coat. This method is very stressful, and has a high mortality rate.

Some fish, such as Tattooed Mollies, even have designs such as hearts, stripes, and polka dots tattoed on them with needles and lasers.

These methods result in an 80% mortality rate. Of those that survive, most will have an extremely stunted lifespan, as the dye slowly spreads to the rest of their organs and the damage to their outer protective layer causes extremely low immunity against disease. Coloring fish stresses them and makes them more susceptible to illness. Young fish that are not fully grown are often stunted by the painting process.

Some popular dyed fish: Painted Glassfish, Fruit Tetras, Jelly Beans & Bubblegum Parrots, Blueberry Oscars, Painted Corys, Painted Botias

The sale of these fish, usually imported from Asia, is still legal despite some attempts to stop it. With your help it is possible to convince major retailers to stop the sale of these animals, as has successfully been done in the UK. While many retailers do not care about the welfare of the animals, many are simply misinformed.

What can I do?

Consumers/Hobbyists: If you see dyed/tattooed fish in an aquarium tell the owner or manager that this is a cruel practice. If enough people complain we can stop the sale of these fishes. The sad truth about dyed fish is that most often they are bought by people who are new to the hobby and would not suspect this practice. When new aquarists discover the truth about this practice they are normally saddened that they have been deceived into buying fish that are colored for profit.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I agrree, this practice is 100% barberic, and un-needed! If someone wants really colorful fish, get a chiclid tank! My kitchen tank is beautiful, orange fish, black fish, gold fish, well palnted and aquascaped with rock/wood..no fakes in there, and no lacking of color either! this new glo fish trend is disturbing, and I usually do say something to the owners if it is mom and pop store..a chain needs more drastic measures..letters of protest seem to help some, but mainly for them whatever sells, like the betas in a dixie cup habitat..

3. Dox13

Dox13 Member

It makes me mad when I think of people doing this to fish and to bay chickens too.

4. Leslie

Leslie New Member

I went to a petstore today to get some stuff and looked at the fish. and they have now came out with a new fish. ones with hearts on there sides. I couldnt belive it. they are doing anything for a buck now. next it will be customize your own fish!!

5. Anthony

When you see them at stores you should complain about it. That's what I do. If enough people say something about it they'll hopefully stop caring the fish and hurt the distributor.

6. Leslie

Leslie New Member

The girl there was like i dont know what you are talking about thats how we got them.

7. Anthony

I don't doubt that actually.

8. Leslie

Leslie New Member

I rolled my eyes and walked off. some people are really stupid.

9. Anthony

Print out this article and take it to her. :)

10. Leslie

Leslie New Member

i could do that but then she could say well thats how they came.

11. Anthony

That's a place I'd avoid then.

12. Leslie

Leslie New Member

it was the first time i had been there in like 3 years. i just stopped real fast to see if they had what i needed. but i am really waiting on someone to come out with design your own fish.

13. Anthony

I'm sure it won't be long. :confused: :x

14. Leslie

Leslie New Member

but sadly to be truthfully. when and if they do come out with that they will make a killing. :(

15. Anthony

Yeah. :evil:

16. Leslie

Leslie New Member

its awful to think it thought. :( :x

17. punkazzoverb

punkazzoverb New Member

thats crazy i never seen or heard of any of this but we do have some fish at our local store that are really neon.. ... like highlighter yellow, highlighter red, they told me that they were crossbread with jelly fish some how??

They were neat looking and the process doesn't seem like what your talkin aobut.. but i don't know.. just going on what i was told i'll get a picture and post it up .

18. Anthony

Those are usually injected with a jellyfish gene or something similar. A process that still shouldn't be done.

19. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

You know, I have been in pet stores and told customers awing over these fish on how pretty they were why these fish were so colorful.

They immediately look to another fish (usually a cichlid) and ask if that has been done to them. I respond no, the ones that are obvious are the ones in pastel colors as no fish in nature is pastel purple or pastel green. If they were that color a predator would snatch them up in a heartbeat.

I agree this is sick. I even say that to the people that work in the LFS. Maybe they will be less apt to selling them. The way I see it is, 5 people dont buy them that may have, it may stop that from being done.

I also dont like 15 Pacus and 15 Oscars kept in Petsmart and Petco made to look like they are cute little community fish when in truth they are aquarium busters that will grow out of almost any tank you can throw at them.

I dont mind Oscars and Pacus sold.... but why stock so many?!?!? It is misleading!

20. punkazzoverb

punkazzoverb New Member

I agree on the 20 oscars in a tank and 20 pacus cause they are so little and cute and then all of a sudden moms coming aback 8 months later saying ibought this little cute fish and how he can'teven swim in out 10 gallon tank..

most thetime in larger pet stores its some 17 year old kid that grabs the fish with a net and stuffs them in a bag, wrties the price and says have agood day.. and don't ask things such as whats in the tank what size is the tank etc...

and people these days are to stupid, or in hurry, to read the description on compatability and sizes... and the description is aobut this big anyway