1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Article Dyed/Tattooed Fish

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Anthony, Jul 5, 2008.

1. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

My point well taken

2. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Member

I have a friend who ended up getting a couple of those "glofish", the Danios that are genetically altered with genes of a jelly fish. They lasted only a week in his tank, and he had this tank for years without any problems like that before.
    This is from the glofish site: "Where do GloFish® fluorescent zebrafish come from?
    GloFish® fluorescent zebrafish were originally bred to help detect environmental pollutants. By adding a natural fluorescence gene to the fish, scientists hoped to one day quickly and easily determine when a waterway is contaminated. The first step in developing a pollution-detecting fish was to create fish that would be fluorescent all the time. Scientists soon realized the public's interest in sharing the benefits of this research, a process which lead to GloFish® fluorescent fish." My question is, how does creating "Glofish" help with the whole "determine when a waterway is contaminated" stuff? The only thing I can think of is that they put these glofish in a body of water, and the coloring helps them see them if they die and rise to the surface.... only a theory mind you...

3. punkazzoverb

punkazzoverb New Member

or they could see them under the water and when the water got to contaminated they couldn't see em. ?? lol but yeah thats the fish i was talkin about.

4. Anthony

Anthony Thread Starter Active Member

That "reason" seems like BS to me. Like everything else, I'm sure these fish were "created" to increase sales.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

The fish would be used in a way such that, under normal circumstances the fish would appear normal, but if the waterway became contaminated the fish would become this "glolite" color. This color would alarm the public being so different and bright. Just because a river isnt crystal clear does not mean its polluted (with anything other than sediment).

6. Anthony

These fish are colored all the time, not just when water quality is bad.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

They are now, why would someone want to buy a fish that was normal looking? They would be called environmental indicators, much like the number of invertebrates, etc.

8. Ms. Wright

Ms. Wright Member

Of course that's how they came. Can you see a typical pet store chain employee doing that kind of mess? Most of the employees are high school kids. Absolutely, it's a foul thing to do, but it keeps the $$$$$ rolling in.
    "Mine died"
    "You did something wrong. Here, let me sell you some more."
    I bought a 55 from some folks who were switching from African to something smaller...........
    *drum roll*
    PACU :eek:
    The (young) sales clerk told them those fishes would never grow past 5".

I went to an NJAS auction where somebody had donated two pacu, both at least 18". They sold after I'd left, but I heard they went for five bucks, and the buyer took them home and cooked them.

9. Leslie

Leslie New Member

OMG!! cooked them?!?!?!?!?

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

They are often used for human consumption.

11. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Member

I haven't actually seen any dyed fish until last week. I was at a pet shop that had fish, and in one of the tanks they had glassfish. There were only two left in the tank. One looked like a normal glassfish, but the second one looked like this pic, only it was purple dye. I can't believe this horrible practice is still going on!
    Glass-Fish.jpg

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

its because uneducated people keep buying them!

13. LemonDiscus

I still think that is sick!

14. Anthony

Ding Ding Ding, We Have A Winner !

15. scottdrag

scottdrag New Member

i have to say about 4 years ago i bought these thinking that they were there natural colors. i got home and researched them and found out that they were not. I have never boight them again.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

This is just inhuman, wait most humans a greedy, This is so human the man that started this should be DYED him/her self and see how pain and unhealth it is.

I'm glade to say I have never bought one and I will never even think about it.

hell Petsmart made me pissed so much one time with their info on the Dwarf Puffer fish that I was almost temped to get a big post it note and write, This fish can not eat flake food no matter what.

17. LemonDiscus

I ALWAYS inform the people who are at Petsmart staring at these fish what they really are... I also have a tendency to inform the customers staring at Pacu and Oscars as well!

As a matter of fact there was this one lady yesterday staring at Pacy and I told her how big they get. She actually thought that they were smaller than Oscars. She said she has seen HUGE Oscars before like one at Fin and Feather.... It was my Oscar she was referring to :)

She said what tank it was in and described his pattern! I was like, yeah that one was mine and I wanted somebody who had a larger tank than me... she asked how big my tank was and I said I have a 125 and a 55! She walked away from the Pacu :)

18. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Lol, She never thinks about getting pacus or oscars again :)

19. LemonDiscus

She thought Pacus were small :) I told her if she wants to see a close to full grown one to go to Fin and Feather where they have 2 at 20" long!

20. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

What tank size/sizes :)