1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Eco Complete

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by greg curtis, Mar 3, 2009.

1. greg curtis

greg curtis Thread Starter New Member

Eco Complete
    Anyone using Eco Complete as a substrate for their plants. I have a 90g that I want to use it in but wanted to ask how deep it should be. I plan on covering it over with playsand as I think it makes a more pleasing color than black.

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I have a 90g that has this solely as the substrate.

Photos can be viewed under the planted photo section titled 90g planted.

3" depth would be perfect.Keep it higher in the back sloping lower in the front.

As far as the eco-complete...Don't rinse the stuff...cut the bag open and pour.

Playsand won't be needed and may jam your filters if you put fish in that swirl it up. I prefer to avoid natural colored sands because I always end up with algae beneath the substrate towards the front of my glass (lighting)...That and the fish feces defin shows up like a sore thumb on natural colored sand substrates. IF going with sand I'd suggest CaribSea Eco Complete Tahitian Moon (black) because it stays in place...doesn't swirl around and get jammed in filters...makes just about any fish look great....and doesn't show feces of the fish (not that partial water changes with a siphon wouldn't take care of that/filter...but sometimes the poo just gets stuck on plants/decor..Yuk!)

3. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Dawn uses Eco Complete... I dont, but I do not recommend play sand! I used it and it makes a mess that gets all in your filters.

Try Pool Filter Sand - It is coarser but still looks like sand (more like what you see on a beach)

4. GOT MTS?

GOT MTS? Member

I second what Lemon said. I use pool filter sand and think it looks great. Also you can add some colored sand to give it a little character.

5. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

i dont use eco complete i have had my plants grow like crazy !!! its all in the lights

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I disagree. Although Lights are a big part of it...so are nutrients (whether they be found in the substrate/ root tabs/ or chemical additives such as flourish excel, flourish iron).

7. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

haha maybe its in my water then ill sell you my water 10$ per pound no shiping XD

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Nah. I'm good to go. My waters great..plants are growing really fast here too! Did you check the photos of the P. Cabombas...can we say WHOA! Weekly prune fest. Glad to hear your plants are doing well also!

9. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

lol yup

10. greg curtis

greg curtis Thread Starter New Member

Thanks everyone. I like the look of white sand in my tank so I guess eco complete covered with pool filter sand it is.

11. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

GREAT plan :D