1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Eheim Filter Selection

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by dlwhitt, Jun 26, 2010.

1. dlwhitt

dlwhitt Thread Starter New Member

I'm finalizing the equipment selections for a 90 gallon cichlid tank, and mostly struggling with the cannister filter selection. Does anyone have an opinion about the Eheim Classic 2217 versus the Eheim Professional 3 2075 (Ultra G160)? They are both rated for up to a 160 gallon tank size, which satisfies my desire to have excess filtering capacity. However, there are some very significant design differences. Any comments are very much appreciated.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Welcome to the forum. The Eheims are nice filters. Between the two of those I'd go with the pro version.

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Welcome aboard! I have a 90g but opted for the rena filstar xp4 because of the light weight (Petite female and I can lift it without struggling).
    Rena Filstar XP4 Aquarium Filter

4. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

the PRO 3 is a heavy S.O.B. Practically unmoveable when filled with water and its casters are non turnable which makes it a bear to maintain on tile flooring. Now, as far as the Pro 3 goes I wouldnt give it up for the world. I use the Pro 3 2080 on my 210 it has a 300gph filtration rating, much more media as well as a nice dual inlet single outlet so your water intake is double that of a normal single inlet canister.

This is the first eheim I have owned and it is working side by side with the same rated(300g) wet/dry sump. Also the Eheim has enough cajones to keep full outlet pressure even going thru a water polisher and Co2 motorized reaction canister. It pumps harder them my twin 1200gph pumps that reside in the wet/dry.

Go with the Pro, you wont be disappointed.