1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Empty 55 gal! Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by FishVixen, Mar 22, 2010.

1. FishVixen

FishVixen Thread Starter Active Member

Hey Everyone, Here's a question for you. If you had an empty 55 gal what would you stock it with? I usually have community tanks but looking for something different in freshwater. Any suggestions no matter how unusual is wanted. I have no lights, substrates, or equipment just the tank. So anything is possible at this point. 4-6" fish? invertibrates only? breeders? Dig in the imagination for an unusual tank. [icon_twisted.gif]

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Maybe Something Such As One of the Following:
    [*]4-5 Discus
    [*]African Cichlids (colors rival saltwater fish)

You can also check this out as it may give you some ideas...and photos are always nice:
    http://www.elmersaquarium.com/c106communityinfo.htm

Simply click on the underlined community and it will pull up a page with photos of the suggested compatible fish.

Electric Blue Jack Dempseys & Parrot Fish are an interesting bunch!

3. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Active Member

I'd set up a healthy planted tank, with drift wood, java moss, what ever else you fancy. Then once it's getting settles and the water clear, add some shrimp, a few small H. formosa (fav fish EVER), maybe some ram horn and Trumpet snails... Actually, thats what I did with my 40 gallon tank XD

4. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

I'll give my standard answer "Fancy Goldfish"

Rick

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

If you want to have some fry you could put a few Convict Cichlids in there. They're interesting little guys. :D

6. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

the guppy of the cichlid world? oh boy.

I would say this
    planted, heavy, tons of wood, either apisto's or rams as the main centerpiece fish or fishes, the a good size school of smaller tetras, maybe a few pygmy corydoras and a BNP.
    Yep that sounds sexy.

7. lethalcustoms00

lethalcustoms00 Member

i like the discus and the african cichlid ideas both. maybe a large school of sall fish, very small tetras of some sort, or a bunch of blindcave fish

8. JOHNNY305

JOHNNY305 New Member

i wanted a planted tank but i wasnt able to wait so i put in the fish n then plants n well it didnt work out so well for the plants. i love my fish but it wouldnt hurt to have pretty green plants in there. i feel that once u have the fish in theres no way for u to add plants unless u have another tank to hold the fish in for a few weeks till everything is cycled n the plants rooted in pretty good and makew sure u choose the gravel u want as well cause there is no turning back n if there is it'll be a pain...

9. FishVixen

You can add plants anytime. The right subsrtate and lighting is the key IMO. If you get some root tabs and put the in the soil as recommened and probibly a low light plant assortment. Unless you have fish like oscars that will destroy the tank no matter when you put it in. LOL.

10. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

I add plants atleast a week before the fish, use a good substrate meant for planting and you are good to go. a twin 48" t-12 or t-8 will work fine, cheap enough at the home depot's.

11. Bluefish

Bluefish New Member

Paludarium!

12. FishVixen

Bluefish why didn't you chime in sooner. I like that idea but just set it up as a NPT foe female bettas. Only tetras in it at the moment. I have bettas all over my house waiying for the tank to settle in.

13. Bluefish

Bluefish New Member

Keep the idea in mind for your next empty tank ;). So many possibilities with paludaria, and in a deep enough tank, plenty of room for cool little fishand lots of fun plants!

14. FishVixen

Bluefish do you have one? I would love to see pics. Really sounds awsome.