1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Endler's Endler Newbie Here

Discussion in 'Livebearer Fish' started by Dekz, May 7, 2009.

1. Dekz

Dekz Thread Starter New Member

Well I found myself with an empty 10 gallon so I decided I would give Endler breeding a try. Let me get this out of the way right from the start: It is basically impossible to get Endler females where I live, because the local pet stores can't even tell a male Endler from a Guppy, nevermind the females!

As such, I plan on breeding male Endlers with female Guppies. I know this is frowned upon by some people, but I would never be able to aquire purebreds in the first place, and I of course would never try to pass mine off as such, so I don't see the harm.

I went to the store today and bought 2 males (one of which may already be a hybrid), and 6 female Guppies.

My two main questions are:

#1 Will the hybrid spawn be sterile? I've heard both yes and no so I wanted to make sure.

#2 What factors will affect the male/female ratio of the fry? I would prefer mostly Males, what can I do to encourage this?

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

First of all welcome to the forum !

To answer your questions directly.

1: No, the offspring will not be sterile and will breed like normal Guppies and Endler's do.

2: Water temp is the only factor that will affect the male to female ratio. To get more males keep your water temp at about 74.

3. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

I let anthony help you with endlers as I have no knowledge on htem but i'd like to welcome you to the forum ;)

4. Dekz

Dekz Thread Starter New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome and quick answers.

Since the hybrid spawn will be fertile, what are the potential consequences of inbreeding? I was hoping to just leave the tank alone and let them multiply.

Thanks again!

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

There are none. :D Fish aren't the same as humans or even dogs. A mother can breed with her son and there be no defects (assuming the parents had none).

6. fuzzer41

fuzzer41 New Member

Anthony, you are wrong, no offence. If the fish are breeding with relatives, like parents, they will have some sort of defect. I had a father breed with sister's sister, the fry turned out either all gray, or abnormally small. I would recommend breeding relatives only a couple times, then adding new blood. Also, if you just leave the fish alone to breed, there would be way too much fry and inbreeding! The males would fight, and if there are more males then females, the females could die from stress from being chased too much. Ask me anything, I am a fish nerd!

7. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Active Member

Your posts are all in old topics. But I do want to add input to this one. Inbreeding is how the fancy breeds of everything was created. While excessive inbreeding can cause defects if done poorly, but its how you produce true breeding lines. As you work on your lines, you divide and make sub-lines. Each then becomes further related and become there own lines. These lines can be used to breed specific traits into your lines. The first line can be used, for example, to breed larger fins, and the second for fin color/pattern. The third for body size, etc, etc.

Defects are rarely created from inbreeding, unless they are already present in the line. Some times, defects/mutations do occur, but it's not a major concern. Cull the defective one, and keep an eye out. The parents breed again and another defect happens, it's best to avoid the pair a third time.

8. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

I think that maybe the choice of wording here is wrong, when this is done in the animal kingdom it is known as line breeding. It is how we have gotten different breeds of dogs, cats and it is also done for color. Himalayan rats, and blizzard corn snakes are just two quick examples of color morphs that have been produced through line breeding. It takes MANY and I do mean MANY generations of line breeding in things such as endlers to notice even a size difference in how many babies are birthed nevermind genetic abnormalities.

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

A fish nerd huh ? You might want to brush up on your fish knowledge then don't ya think ?

• Like Like x 1
  10. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Active Member

Oh yea XD Thanks. I couldn't remember what it was I was trying to say. Thanks for the correction.

11. Haley Wolter

Haley Wolter New Member

That was rude.....

12. susankat

susankat Member

Lol this is funny, I have bred endlers for years and Anthony does know what he's talking about.

13. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

This thread is 4 years old, please refrain from making comments that do not pertain to the original topic :)