1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Endless Female Endlers?

Discussion in 'Livebearer Fish' started by eeyipes, Aug 10, 2008.

1. eeyipes

eeyipes Thread Starter New Member

Endlers pop is exploding in my 29 gallon! There have been 5-6 surviving fry in the past couple weeks - hard to count, they hide well. At least 4 of the fry are female with gravid spots. Is it common to have almost all females? What can I do to have more males? They are getting their own tank next week :D

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

How old are they ? You shouldn't be seeing gravid spots in them in only a few weeks. That should take about 2+ months.

What is your tank temperature set at ?

Congrats on the new tank. We'll need to see pictures. :D

3. eeyipes

hmmm, the 3 oldest fry are 3-4 weeks old, and all have small black spots which the very youngest, which are maybe a week old, do not. Who knows, maybe they will still morph into males yet. I'll be a little more patient.

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I don't recall mine showing gravid spots that early. What is your tank temperature set at ?

5. eeyipes

It's summertime, no heater. It ranges from 76-80.

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Oh okay. That could be the issue. As the tank gets cooler I assume you'll put in a heater ? If you do make sure to keep it below 76, around 74 is good. When I was keeping mine at 80-82 I was getting a lot of females. After lowering it to about 74 I began to get more males in each drop.